PVC old work boxes in a kitchen island

• Thread starter a.wayne3@verizon.net
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Ok here`s the senario we have been using PVC cut in boxes in kitchen islands for along time.bring the slabbed wire into the island carflex to a cutin box and drill a 1/2 in. hole in it to feed a device.Now the inspector says they are not rated to have a hole drilled in them UL listing is for Quick connects.He wants metal gangable boxes and flex installed,so that leaves a metal gangable madison straps exposed and a potential to get sliced and diced,any answers out there

luke warmwater

Re: PVC old work boxes in a kitchen island

Allen, I suppose the carflex is for physical protection?

In my area, we are not required to sleve the NM.

How about a 90degree connector into the back of a surface mount wiremold box?

We do this on some islands to get the receptacle close enough to the countertop to pass.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

We underslab a kitchen gfci ciruit out to the center island,the set a 4 sq in the corner carflex into pvc old work boxes for receptales etc.If we can drill a panel seperate fron factory ko`s then why not this.I`ve looked and cant find qa code to back me up.I would much rather see carflex yes for protection,terminate in a pvc box with a fitting,Than sharp metal madison straps installed or is just me.

benaround

Raco,plastic single gang old work,4 clamps and 1/2 inch k.o. in the back 77 cents. Product I.D. 2277887 , MFR. Raco,Bell,Hubbell

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Benaround thanks that was just what I was looking for a rated box to use.

electricmanscott

What's the difference between this and punching a hole in any enclosure? I ususally just sleeve a piece of romex and not connect the carflex to the box at all? Sounds like the inspector is being a pain in the rear.

hurk27

I guess your not supose to use a knock out punch in a metal box ether? Sound's like this inspector is reaching. By the way What is carflex? I'm thinking smurf tub but I'm not sure.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

What is carflex? I'm thinking smurf tub but I'm not sure.
Wayne,

Carflex is flexible PVC similar to seal-tight but without the metal on the inside. It's a bit thicker than smurf-tube and not as flexible and comes in gray only.

Regards,

Phil

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Benaround I went to raco`s site using that nunber,but it came up unable to locate that #.Where did you find that # ?.To all the others,you have no idea what a pain this particular inspector has been.I have to admit everything he cites is actually in the NEC,but sometimes I would like to well.......6 ft. rule and it`s 6 1/4 " tagged.Cord connected D/W with the receptacle behind the D/W use a breaker lock out since you have to remove the toe kick to get to the recptacle.2 ft. rule applies even in a kitchen.And if there is an area larger than 3 ft wide in a hallway with a 2 ft wall add a receptacle even though the hallway is covered by another receptacle.On rough ins he is even worse.

benaround

a.wayne3, I did a quick search and it took me to"www.castlewholesalers.com" that is where I got the info. and picture of the box.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

electricmanscott,Oh he is just that.I have to walk every inspection with him with a service tech
but it`s the only way to pass. So I do what I have to do_On average I have 15 inspections a day in 1 sub division.Benaround I`ll check it out thanks.

prostock

a_wayne,
Remember that the AJD cannot make up his own codes. His job is to enforce the code. He must be able to give you a code reference if he requires you to do or not do something. You still have to deal with him so you must be tactfull. If he is so adament in enforcing the code as he interprets it, then he should be open to exploration of new ideas.

I have to agree with him on drilling your own KO in a box. UL list things as manufactured and offered for sale and wont back up stuff that has been field modified.

Prostock

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

For the most part what he cites is black and white,but to use manufacturers instructions for a safer installation ??? safer in there isnt sharp metal corners using PVC old work boxes and FNMC and fittings.Instead we have 1/2"flex,gangable boxes,and if the hole was cut for a PVC box madison straps.All of this under a kitchen island.A recipe for stiches.

luke warmwater

Allen, now I guess you'll have to go back to not having the Island there before inspection.

I don't know how to tell you to comply with this guy's every whim.

Status
Not open for further replies.