PVC Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it acceptable by industry standards to use a weed burner to heat PVC conduit for slight offset bending? Of course without reducing the ID of the conduit. Also, if using the burner, does it really matter if the PVC conduit scorches on the outside without damaging the inside?

iwire

Staff member
Is it acceptable by industry standards to use a weed burner to heat PVC conduit for slight offset bending? Of course without reducing the ID of the conduit. Also, if using the burner, does it really matter if the PVC conduit scorches on the outside without damaging the inside?

In my opinion no it is not acceptable to the NEC.

352.24 Bends — How Made. Bends shall be so made that the conduit will not be damaged and the internal diameter of the conduit will not be effectively reduced. Field bends shall be made only with bending equipment identified for the purpose. The radius of the curve to the centerline of such bends shall not be less than shown in Table 2, Chapter 9.

That said I have used many things to heat PVC.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
Agreed iwire---does this mean the exhaust pipe on the truck is not a listed means??:slaphead::angel:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
In my opinion no it is not acceptable to the NEC.

That said I have used many things to heat PVC.

The key word is 'identified'. That is in the definitions, and in short it means 'recognizable as being suitable for a specific purpose, function, use blah blah blah.

An 'identified' device doesn't have to be listed or labeled. So, in the OPs case, a device that scorches or deforms would not, to me, be recognizable as suitable. OTH, a heat gun, to me, would be suitable as they work fine and don't damage the pipe unless you actually want to do it. A torch, could go either way. If the torch is difficult to use without scorching, no, not 'identified'.

As no surprise, the NEC's definition leaves a bit to be desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.