PVC coated MC connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
I'm doing a project with floor boxes in a topping a slab. For speed & flexibility we are using PVC coated MC. On the box side we are using concrete tight fittings.
The other side we will be emerging from the floor into a wall & terminating to the bottom of a a panel. Can I simply skin back the PVC coating & use a Regular MC connector or do I need use a connector designed for PVC coated MC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think that the MC cable has the jacket not the connectors. Basically he wants to strip off some the jacket at the terminations and use a regular MC connector instead of the very expensive connectors designed for PVC jacketed MC.

mike7330

Yes use an approved MC connector
I’ve seen where it’s installed in slabs and where it comes out of slab the pvc coating has been removed, if the PVC jacket is not approved for that area.
Arlington makes a connector for the pvc end.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We've used pvc coated mc in dairy barn ceilings. Also, for the interconnect wire for mini splits.

For the mini splits, we just use a regular mc connector on the inside of the building. Fortunately, our inspector over here uses common sense and didn't take issue with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.