pvc and copper water service

Status
Not open for further replies.

jes25

I f you have copper water service with some pvc going to the water htr. would you install jumpers to the metal valves on the tank and back to rest of the copper plumbing.

bphgravity

Re: pvc and copper water service

No. If the water heater is connected by PVC piping only, the EGC installed with the circuit conductors will serve to bond the tank and valves.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer

What if it is a gas-fired water heater? I think the question then is: is the metal piping likely to become energized? I would say it depends on the circumstances.

jes25

Its a gas water htr. I think it would be unlikely to become engergized as there in no electrical equipment around it. I think I will run a jumper though, cause if I dont everything downstream of the htr. will not be bonded.

eprice

Joe,
250.104(A) is the section that covers bonding of water piping systems. It says nothing about "likely to become energized" (unlike section 250.104(B) for gas piping). 250.104(A) tells how to bond the water piping and does not mention the use of circuit equipment grounding conductors (unlike section 250.104(B) for gas piping). After reading your first post, my only question was whether isolated metal valves would constitute a "piping system" I think not. But, your last post leades me to believe that there may be a copper piping system downstream from the water heater? If so, 250.104(A) requires it to be bonded.

hurk27

I would say that most modern dwellings will have more than one sweated in mixing valve that has a brass body which would be more that enough to bond the hot and cold water pipes. and the isolated piping at the water heater would be just that an isolated pipe that should not require bonding. What if a house had all PVC plumbing, but had short pieces of copper pipe to the faucets at each sink or tub. should we be required to run a bonding conductor throughout this house to make a bond at each one? I would think not.
I agree that if this house didn't have the mixing valves that would bond the hot and cold pipes then a bond should be required to connect these pipes.
But I think this is one of those gray areas that could be cleaned up a little in the "2008" by providing what is meant when the code say's "other metal piping" as in a dwelling the only "other metal piping" I know of is gas which is already mention in 250.104(B)

gndrod

Two other conditions can also have an EGC at the gas H2O heater. A gas spark igniter and an exhaust vent blower can be integral with newer gas units via the power cord connection.

rbj, Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.