Proposing code change too late for 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcanyonboltz

I would like to submit a code change in article 210. I would like to propose a receptacle outlet be required at interior stair landings of dwelling units or within X amount of feet of bottom and top of stairs. Any thoughts on this and when is the due date to be considered for 2020? Thanks.

Last edited:

jumper

What is your reason why, how will propose to write the rule, and what is your reason/substantiation of why this rule is needed?
A code change is harder to write than it seems.

The cut off date for new propsosals/public inputs for the 2020 NEC has not yet been announced, 2017 was basically just released. It will be sometime in October or November of 2017 if the same pattern is repeated as previous years, Don G or others may recall better than me.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would like to submit a code change in article 210. I would like to propose a receptacle outlet be required at interior stair landings of dwelling units or within X amount of feet of bottom and top of stairs. Any thoughts on this and when is the due date to be considered for 2020? Thanks.

IMHO this would be up there with article 210.52 (G) (1).
I could see it if was was a high demand or great reason for this but I don,t see it.

Is this for a night light, future stair lift system or Christmas lights along the banister railing?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I should clarify that the dates have not been set as jumper stated but I believe it is usually November of the latest code cycle for public input

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In response to the op I don't want to seem like a downer but I seriously doubt that would be accepted. You would have to give good substantiation as to why you feel it is a safety issue to not have a receptacle

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
In response to the op I don't want to seem like a downer but I seriously doubt that would be accepted. You would have to give good substantiation as to why you feel it is a safety issue to not have a receptacle

Dennis, I think you misread the OP - he said he wanted this in 210.52, a good substantiation isn't necessary.

zcanyonboltz

I would write the article to read something like this- "dwelling interior staircase landing with 6 or more risers in any one direction shall have one receptacle outlet located on landing, or, within 6 feet of top riser and within 6 feet of bottom riser." I propose 6 or more risers to be consistent with 3 way switch requirements for stairs.
I propose this because dwelling units are generally not to have more than 6 feet of wall space from a receptacle outlet. Staircase risers may be as far as 20 to 30 feet from a receptacle outlet sometimes further in large custom homes. My cousin cleans homes for living and asked why no plugs are by stairs saying sometimes she has to roll out extension cord to vacuum carpeted stairs, and to dust and polish hardwood stairs and railings. I have also seen in homes with a large landing a table or stand placed at landing with some type of electrical appliance. Adding this requirement would make the use of cords on staircases less likely and would be safer.

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I would write the article to read something like this- "dwelling interior staircase landing with 6 or more risers in each direction shall have one receptacle outlet located on landing, or, within 6 feet of top riser and within 6 feet of bottom riser." I propose 6 or more risers to be consistent with 3 way switch requirements for stairs.
I propose this because dwelling units are generally not to have more than 6 feet of wall space from a receptacle outlet. Staircase risers may be as far as 20 to 30 feet from a receptacle outlet sometimes further in large custom homes. My cousin cleans homes for living and asked why no plugs are by stairs saying sometimes she has to roll out extension cord to vacuum carpeted stairs, and to dust and polish hardwood stairs and railings. I have also seen in homes with a large landing a table or stand placed at landing with some type of electrical appliance. Adding this requirement would make the use of cords on staircases less likely and would be safer.
Use the format indicated here in the future for this forum.

You aren't too late for a 2020 Public Input.

Status
Not open for further replies.