proper way to repair over-stripped wire insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

68Malibu383

Hi,
I am a home inspector and noted a wire outside of a junction box that had about an extra 8" of romex removed before the junction box. Wondering if installing heavy shrink wrap over the wires is ok that overlaps onto the romex and then goes into the box. This was the repair method. Thanks!

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Technically it's probably fine but getting down to legal issues, I'm sure that would violate the listing of the cable assembly. I would cut the part in question out, add a junction box and run a new piece of NM-B to the existing junction box. Then you're 100% compliant.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Hi,
I am a home inspector and noted a wire outside of a junction box that had about an extra 8" of romex removed before the junction box. Wondering if installing heavy shrink wrap over the wires is ok that overlaps onto the romex and then goes into the box. This was the repair method. Thanks!

I would have no problem if the repair met:

334.116 Sheath. The outer sheath of nonmetallic-sheathed
cable shall comply with 334.116(A), (B), and (C).
(A) Type NM. The overall covering shall be flame retardant
and moisture resistant.
(B) Type NMC. The overall covering shall be flame retardant,
moisture resistant, fungus resistant, and corrosion
resistant.
(C) Type NMS. The overall covering shall be flame retardant
and moisture resistant. The sheath shall be applied so
as to separate the power conductors from the communications
conductors.

As a HI I think that what you do is of a great service to the public. Being an inspector from a state that limits what non-electrical inspectors can say may I suggest that you craft your answers to keep you as a Generalist and not cross that line as acting as an expert. Understand?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

and moisture resistant.
resistant.
conductors.

As a HI I think that what you do is of a great service to the public. Being an inspector from a state that limits what non-electrical inspectors can say may I suggest that you craft your answers to keep you as a Generalist and not cross that line as acting as an expert. Understand?

I thought the sheath had to extend at least 1/4 inch into the enclosure, but can't find that in the book except under unfinished basements and crawl spaces.

Am I imagining things???

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I thought the sheath had to extend at least 1/4 inch into the enclosure, but can't find that in the book except under unfinished basements and crawl spaces.

Am I imagining things???

Of course not! Check out 314.17(C).

That specifies non metallic boxes and bodies.

What's up with that?

Well if you don't like that then try 314.17(C) exception
Look at the title of 314.17
"Conductors Entering Boxes, Conduit Bodies, or Fittings"

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
How does this apply to a metallic jbox covered in 314? A close reference, yes- a direct reference, no.

I think that maybe Mark, KM8MHZ, just poked a hole in what we thought was code.

I was only showing everything I could find that stated the sheath was to protude 1/4" past a fitting, clamp, etc. I guess if 1/4" is mentioned enough, the code makers think we should infer what they mean.:happyno:
Also the first paragraph of 314.17 says "Conductors entering boxes, conduit bodies, or fittings shall be protected from abrasion and shall comply with 314.17(A) through (D), however A-D differentiates somewhat in the descriptions. But a JB is a box whether plastic or metal. Leaving a 1/4" of the sheath shows that the cable is being protected from abrasion all the way into the box.

Try getting by an inspector if you don't leave a minimum 1/4" into whatever type box, enclosure, etc when using NM cable!

stickboy1375

Hi,

Wonder why they did it the hard way? I just would have removed a piece of jacket from the roll on my truck and slid it back over the NM cable, and apply a small piece of electrical tape at the joint.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I was only showing everything I could find that stated the sheath was to protude 1/4" past a fitting, clamp, etc. I guess if 1/4" is mentioned enough, the code makers think we should infer what they mean.:happyno:
Also the first paragraph of 314.17 says "Conductors entering boxes, conduit bodies, or fittings shall be protected from abrasion and shall comply with 314.17(A) through (D), however A-D differentiates somewhat in the descriptions. But a JB is a box whether plastic or metal. Leaving a 1/4" of the sheath shows that the cable is being protected from abrasion all the way into the box.

Try getting by an inspector if you don't leave a minimum 1/4" into whatever type box, enclosure, etc when using NM cable!

So, if I don't leave a minimum of 1/4" in a metal SqD service panel, which rule have I violated?

312(C) just says I have to secure the cable to the box unless a bunch of exceptions are met, one being that 'the sheath is continuous through the raceway and extends into the enclosure......not less than 1/4". That tells me that if I did secure it to the box, I would not need to heed a-g.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
How does this apply to a metallic jbox covered in 314? A close reference, yes- a direct reference, no.

I think that maybe Mark, KM8MHZ, just poked a hole in what we thought was code.

I still think that it is a code requirement, it's just that we have to apply more than one rule to get to that point.

It's getting to that point I am having a tough time with, at least doing it by code surfing.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

and moisture resistant.
resistant.
conductors.

Or should I fail it because:

300.12 Mechanical Continuity ? Raceways and Cables.
Metal or nonmetallic raceways, cable armors, and cable
sheaths shall be continuous between cabinets, boxes, fittings,
or other enclosures or outlets.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.