Problems With 0-10V Dimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I agree that the dimming control voltage should be measured to make sure that it can go down to 1V or lower. If it can't go that low then I suggest putting a meter in series with the dimmer contol output to measure the DC current at the lowest dimming setting. Each light's driver should be sourcing no more than 2 mA at the minimum dimmer setting. So for example if you have 5 lights and it's drawing more than 10 mA at the lowest dimmer setting, then one or more of the lights is defective.
The Lutron dimmer specs say they can "sink" at least 50 mA, and so they can operate at least 25 lights that are sourcing the maximum of 2 mA.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I believe he said he swapped the controllers and still had the same issue if I’m not mistaken, so that eliminated it being the controllers.
I believe he is trying to see if the difference is the drivers. I didn't physically look at the old drivers and with them being 3 years older, the drivers may be different.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I did a Cree architectural showroom a few months back, they had a training room that had 12 identical led recessed fixtures, when I took them to full dim by shorting the dim loop, one fixture did not dim to the same level as the others, probably had a newer driver that was programmed differently. I have noticed lately that newer fixtures do not dim as low, probably manufactures did this on purpose to affect diode or driver life.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
UPDATE:
I was back on the job today and was going to do the tests suggested here. But time and circumstances would only allow me to do one test. That was shorting the dimming wires. I did that and the lights only dimmed down to the same level as the dimmer would dim them. So it sounds like the drivers are different in the newer lights than the older ones. I think I convinced the owners of that as well. They said they would just live with it.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
UPDATE:
I was back on the job today and was going to do the tests suggested here. But time and circumstances would only allow me to do one test. That was shorting the dimming wires. I did that and the lights only dimmed down to the same level as the dimmer would dim them. So it sounds like the drivers are different in the newer lights than the older ones. I think I convinced the owners of that as well. They said they would just live with it.

Not so bad if it’s areas or rooms at a time, but when that one fixture fails and Is replaced with the new and improved model, o bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.