Primary light fixture in kitchen and bath

Status
Not open for further replies.

finnegan

I understand that the primary light fixture in kitchens and baths must be fluorescent. Has anyone had any success passing off recessed fixtures with compact fluorescent bulbs for this?

bill addiss

Re: Primary light fixture in kitchen and bath

finnegan,

You have to remember that we are from many different areas and Rules are not the same all over. This isn't an NEC requirement

Are you in California?
What area are you referring to?

Bill

finnegan

My mistake. I was looking at a California Code. I am in New Jersey. Thanks.

hforney500

To be honest, this appeared as a silly question at first. Just goes to show you can learn something everyday. I am from New Jersey and have never heard of such. Guess I better get out more often.....ahahahah

bill addiss

finnegan,

I believe the requirement is not necessarily for a fluorescent fixture, but it must meet some efficiency guidelines. I don't know if it really has to be the Primary Fixture, or just the closest switch to the entrance.

I don't think that fluorescent bulbs in standard fixtures are being accepted because they can always be changed.

Can a Californian Member confirm or shed some light on this?

Bill

[ March 24, 2004, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: bill addiss ]

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Bill????you rang? I guess I can help out with this.

The general lighting for kitchens must have an efficiency of not less than 40 lumens per watt. These luminaires shall not contain a medium based sockets (you can?t use screw in fluorescent adapters). Additional fixtures for decorative effects that don?t meet the 40 lumens per watt requirement may be used but must me on separate switches. Most of the time under-cabinet fluorescents are used as the primary lighting with switches at each entrance to the room.

Bathrooms (any room with a bathtub or shower) must have one luminaire that has an efficiency of 40 lumens per watt. I usually install a 26 watt recessed fluorescent over the tub or shower.

For more information look at pages 2-51 ? 2-56 here

stamcon

The undercabinet fluorescents aren't always accepted. They sometimes are considered only "task" lighting and not "general" lighting.

There are ways out of the bathroom "efficacy" lighting, by using 40 lumen per watt or greater luminaires in a utility room, laundry or garage and by having permanent exterior luminaires with 40 lumens per watt or greater, or if the permanent exterior luminaires have motion detectors, they can use lamps of any efficacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.