Pricing Retrofit??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lineman1123

I just got a big job to bid. Its a nursing home and i have to retrofit about 500 lights.
6' Recessed , 4'' strips etc
Not to sure on how to price it, also change out 55 light bulbs.
Prob gonna get a lift to help me out.
Any one have any ideas on what type of price?
im thinking on the T8's and T12's using the doubled sided LEDs.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just got a big job to bid. Its a nursing home and i have to retrofit about 500 lights.

This is the best kind of job to bid. The number of variables is small. If you can come up with an accurate estimate of the time it takes to perform each of those tasks, it easy to just add up the labor and material costs, add your profit, and make the bid.

The last time I did a similar job I found it took me 45 minutes per fixture to: turn off and secure the circuit; retrieve the new fixture from storage; Unbox the new fixture; remove the whip from the old fixture; remove the support wires from the old fixture; remove the tubes from the old fixture; store the tubes for recycling; remove the old fixture from the ceiling; throw the old fixture in the dumpster; attach the ceiling wires and whip to the new fixture; turn on circuit and test. YMMV

Make sure you add in the time it takes to order, acquire, ship and store the fixtures; and the recycling costs for the old florescent tubes.

or i can price it hourly. 2 guys $150 a hour

Unless they asked for a T&M bid, usually they won't accept one because there is too much risk for them. You'll have to give them a fixed price.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

health care facility.
people being severely senior. more time consuming.

this is gonna take a lot of time. plan accordingly.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Six foot recessed, four inch strips? You would only need 2 recessed per ceiling and 48 strips!;)

You need to find out if you're responsible for the disposal, moving furniture/obstacles etc. Then figure in set-up/take/down of your equipment. You can figure 1/4 to 1/2 hour per fixture on the T8 & T12, can't answer about changing the bulbs without seeing them.
Don't forget to add in the lift rental. Add your mark-up. profit, etc.

Ravenvalor

What do you mean by double sided LEDs? Are you referring to straight wire 120volt or ballast? Are you planning to use LEDs powered from both ends or single end?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What do you mean by double sided LEDs? Are you referring to straight wire 120volt or ballast? Are you planning to use LEDs powered from both ends or single end?

You have answered your own question. "Double sided" is the tubes that can operate from either H/N on same end or H/N on opposite ends.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
thats cool, I havent seen those. So if I am thinking about that correctly, they have to sense and connect to the appropriate pins?

I just installed some that had L on one end and N on the other. Those were nice because I could just leave the shunted sockets.

These are marked "L/N" on one end and just "N" on the other. I don't think it matters but I always put the "L/N" on the hot end, or if each socket is separate "L" "N", I turn the tube so the pins match up. Sometimes its just easier to make the sockets "L & N" on the same end if rewiring the sockets.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC

Is POCO qualifying your work for energy rebate?

If utility qualifies your lamps & controls, rebates can be worth a lot to clients.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician

If you use LED single end tubes, you will likely have to replace fixture sockets with nonshunted ones. Most I’ve seen are shunted. Many electricians don’t know this. I only found out about 2 years ago. Get the tubes that are line on one end, neutral on other if you can. Much simpler.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
These are marked "L/N" on one end and just "N" on the other. I don't think it matters but I always put the "L/N" on the hot end, or if each socket is separate "L" "N", I turn the tube so the pins match up. Sometimes its just easier to make the sockets "L & N" on the same end if rewiring the sockets.

The ones I used had L & N marked at one end, for each pin. Other end was simply dummy pins to hold the tube in place. L was line and N neutral. I had to put nonshunted sockets in the lights and rewire them.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The ones I used had L & N marked at one end, for each pin. Other end was simply dummy pins to hold the tube in place. L was line and N neutral. I had to put nonshunted sockets in the lights and rewire them.

That's why I use the tubes I mentioned. (I call them "by-sexual") It doesn't matter how the sockets are wired, the tubes will work either way, shunted or non-shunted. Now, depending on the length of wire from sockets in relation to the incoming hot/neutral, you may have to rewire the sockets or splice on some wire. Sometimes it's easier to wire the pins side-by-side and other times it's easier to wire hot on one end and neutral on the other. Of course with shunted sockets, you have no choice but to wire end to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.