Pre Lein on TIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfav8r

Hi,

I am goint to be starting a substantial job on one of the units in a 3-unit building that is not legal condos yet. They are still held as TIC (tenants in common). Does anyone know if I need to pre lein all of the owners? Is there a reference for this.

Thanks.

tx2step

Re: Pre Lein on TIC

I agree with Jeff -- that will depend entirely on your state laws, which vary widely.

What state and city are you in?

You would do well to develop a good relationship with a good, qualified construction attorney. He could answer this type of question for you in a 5 minute phone call. A good construction attorney will keep you out of trouble, instead of trying to get you out of trouble once you are already in hot water. They are worth the money. I've used one a lot, and it was always money well spent.

Finding a good one is the tough part, just like finding a good doctor.

Your best 3 friends -- a good construction attorney, CPA and insurance agent. (They must all be very experienced in construction work or they will lead you into trouble)

tx2step

Re: Pre Lein on TIC

I am clueless as to what your state laws and procedures might be there.

But you should be able to find a really good construction attorney there.

My experience is that the best ones will charge more per hour -- but will do what needs to be done in far less time. In the end, they are more cost effective. And when you eventually really need a good attorney on a construction project, then you are already his client, and you already have a feel for each other.

In general, I don't hold attorneys in high regard. But good ones are the exception. And when you really need one, nothing else will do.

Construction law is a specialty, just like brain surgery. Don't go to a general practitioner if you need brain surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.