PPE arc flash suit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrical contractor
I work for a smaller company my brother started, we’re getting into bigger commercial work. We need to purchase an arc flash suit and I’m not sure which one we necessarily need? 8cal, 20cal, 40cal,100cal? We work on pretty good size DP’s. Does it need to comply with the centers AIC rating?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Many have said that over 40 does not make sense for normal situations since the blast forces that the suit does not protect against are likely to cause major injury or death at that energy level.
Having only a high energy level suit can discourage using it for lower energy levels because it is so limiting.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Simply owning arc flash PPE does not make you a qualified worker.

You really need to get some NFPA70E training. During that training they will teach you how to select appropriate PPE. Just watch out for those instructors that focus on the 'fear' side of arc flash. In my opinion, there is no need to show more than more than two safety videos.

There have been quite a few significant changes to NFPA70E over the past two cycles. In 2018 they began to emphasize complete risk analysis rather than just focusing on the calorie level.

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Simply owning arc flash PPE does not make you a qualified worker.

You really need to get some NFPA70E training. During that training they will teach you how to select appropriate PPE. Just watch out for those instructors that focus on the 'fear' side of arc flash. In my opinion, there is no need to show more than more than two safety videos.

There have been quite a few significant changes to NFPA70E over the past two cycles. In 2018 they began to emphasize complete risk analysis rather than just focusing on the calorie level.
Thanks man I appreciate that, I’ve had different arc flash gear but never a full suit, I have been in the field for 10years and have recently passed my journeyman exam. I do have experience but coming from a ma & pa shop this is Something not so common for me.

powerpete69

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
First off, de-energize, lock out tag out whenever possible.
Since this is not always possible:
Spend the money to get trained in arc flash. Some are like two day 8 hour courses. Search the internet for your area, make some phone calls, track it down. Some courses give you the latest NFPA 70E book as well.
Knowing what type of PPE class to wear for the prescribed calorie thresholds would be a must.
All the real commercial/industrial firms you are working for are going to insist you have the training and the suit.
It might just save your life as well. It may save one of your co-workers lives.

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
I will be blunt here but your statement about arc rated PPE complying with center's AIC rating really shows your lack of understanding of arc flash. You need to get trained and educated on arc flash per NFPA 70E-2018 prior to doing any energized work. This is for your own safety!
If a facility has not had an arc flash study done and there are no labels indicating the level of incident energy, how will you determine what arc rated PPE to wear? This is where training in most valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.