Powerflex 40 VFD Fault F081

Status
Not open for further replies.

browalker

I am having an issue with a 10HP Powerflex40 Drive. I randomly get a F081 fault on the VFD, it will automatically re-establish communication and I am then able to start/control the pump from the HMI screen. When this fault happens it seems to confuse the PLC program and when the communication comes back sometimes the program wont control it any more. We have been having this issue for awhile now and have replaced the Com card on the VFD and the Ethernet cable from the Ethernet switch to the VFD. We are running a program from a 1769-L35E Controller.

Could there be anything in the PLC program or anything else that could be causing this random F081 fault?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I am having an issue with a 10HP Powerflex40 Drive. I randomly get a F081 fault on the VFD, it will automatically re-establish communication and I am then able to start/control the pump from the HMI screen. When this fault happens it seems to confuse the PLC program and when the communication comes back sometimes the program wont control it any more. We have been having this issue for awhile now and have replaced the Com card on the VFD and the Ethernet cable from the Ethernet switch to the VFD. We are running a program from a 1769-L35E Controller.

Could there be anything in the PLC program or anything else that could be causing this random F081 fault?
First off, the Ethernet cards for PF40 drives are known to be VERY sensitive to heat and even if in an air conditioned enclosure, they can get over heated because of air flow issues. A lot of people cram the drives into a box and ASSume that slotted wire duct is going to allow air flow, so they don't count it as an "obstruction" when deciding how far away to mount it from the drives. The MINIMUM distance is 4" above and below the VFD, less than that and air current eddies will cause those Ethernet add-on cards to cook themselves. Again, this is a KNOWN issue of PF40s because the Ethernet card were something that came along long after the VFD was released, so as an afterthought, it had to have it's own power supply on the card, and that power supply is what over heats if there isn't proper air flow across it.

As a gross general rule though once you have eliminated the possibility of a bad comm card (by replacing it with a NEW one, not another old one), the problem usually points to noise on the Ethernet cable. If you used cheap "office grade" Ethernet patch cords, that's a DEFINITE point of noise entry, if you made up your own cable ends, that is another typical source for noise, or if you have a bad ground connection somewhere, that too can cause it. I had a huge project where the PF40 Ethernet cards would not reliably communicate, it turned out that one of the managed switches was not grounded (terminal was crimped to the insulation, not the copper).

The other thing you could do, depending on how you operate the drive via the comms, is to possibly change how it reacts to a comm loss. So IF for example the Ethernet is not being used for Stop functionality, you can change A115 to say "Continue running at last commanded speed in RAM memory" if the comms are lost. But if you are using the Ethernet to Stop the drive and there is no E-Stop hard wired to it, that's potentially a dangerous thing to do, so think that through.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

The PF40 drives have all kinds of weird quirks. Maybe your best bet is to run it without the ethernet card or only use the ethernet card for debug and config.

I don't know if it will help you but you could try controlling it with msgs instead of through the I/O tree. The 22COMME card seems to have all kinds of issues itself and the module profile seems to be part of the problem.

MattS87

Had the exact same issue with a PF40 at our plant a couple months ago. Tried replacing the comm card with no luck. Swapped out the drive and problem fixed.

Experienced same issue on our site. Went through more than 50 PF40P drives in last 5 years. Most of the drives faulted out on F071 or F081 faults and happened after powering down the drive for long period of time and then powering back up. Originally, thought it was EtherNet comm card issue, but ended up replacing the drives and that fixes it. All the drives were mounted in small space without the recommended clearance (4.7" top and bottom).

Reached out to Rockwell they are saying overheating is the root cause and recommend replacing them with PF525. But when I checked the temperature of PF525 installed on site, they run hotter than PF40, so only time would tell how good the PF525 are.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Experienced same issue on our site. Went through more than 50 PF40P drives in last 5 years. Most of the drives faulted out on F071 or F081 faults and happened after powering down the drive for long period of time and then powering back up. Originally, thought it was EtherNet comm card issue, but ended up replacing the drives and that fixes it. All the drives were mounted in small space without the recommended clearance (4.7" top and bottom).

Reached out to Rockwell they are saying overheating is the root cause and recommend replacing them with PF525. But when I checked the temperature of PF525 installed on site, they run hotter than PF40, so only time would tell how good the PF525 are.
If you are unaware, the PF525 can be de-rated one size to attain 60C operation, and if you add a little 24VDC aux cooling fan to the PC control board, you can get it to 70C operation (158F). One of my customers that had this issue with some OEM panels that were over-stuffed changed to that 70C program about 2 years ago and has had no further failures. All of their motors are 1/2HP so they use a 1HP drive and the aux fan.

Julio1985

Occupation
Automation Technician
Hi, sir!

How are you? Every time the operator starts (turns on) the machine, this F081 error appears. How do I find the IP of the 22-COM E card?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
So,

On Powerflex 40P I do not know how to perform this procedure. Which parameter should I access on the VFD so I can get the IP address?
I don't have a power flex 40p manual handy. It is a completely different bird if I remember correctly from a powerflex 40. I think the power flex 40p was the one that had a built-in encoder input. If I remember correctly it was one of the goofiest encoder inputs I ever worked with. Regardless of what direction the motor went it always counted up. You might be able to do a Google search for a manual. Or go to the AB website

Status
Not open for further replies.