Powerfactor Correction in Transmission/ Distribution Sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masood Siddiqui

Q.1.I need to know the affect of power Capacitor installation atPower Plant firstCapacitor was installed at 20KM distance on !3.8KV, 2000KVA load, Received PF 0.7 Lag to improve it and it was corrected and the same capacitor shifted to generator pls. tell me the affect.

Q.2. What affect will take place if we provide a supply for the same system at pf .07 (lead) in stead of lag.
Waiting for answer,
Thanks,
Masood Siddiqui

bob

Re: Powerfactor Correction in Transmission/ Distribution Sys

What was he PF corrected to. It was 0.70. What is it now?

templdl

I always understood that you never should have a leading powerfact, that the bank should be switched out to prevent it, that it should approach 1pf but never go over it. Off have the voltage would increase with a leading pf if I recall correctly.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

You can never exceed a 1.0 PF. Excess capacitance or inductance changes whether you are leading or lagging, but the PF is less than 1.0 either way.

Remember, power factor indicates the difference between watts and volt-amps, but not the reactive phase-angle direction.

MJJBEE

So whats the question? Do you want to know how much you improve the powerfactor? The calculation is pretty simple you need to know the size of the capacitor after that it's all vector algebra.

rcwilson

Massod - If I interpret your questions correctly, you are looking at moving a capacitor from an existing plant 20 km back up the line to the power plant and are considering the good and bad points.

It is best to leave the capacitor bank as close to the load as possible to save losses in the transmission line. While the generator may be able to supply the kVARS, there will be excessive losses in the transmission line due to the increased current.

Running the line at 0.7 pf leading at the power plant will push kVARS down the line towards the load. Line current leaving the power plant will be 30% higher, and line losses will be 60% higher since kW and kVAR losses vary with the square of the current.

You will also need to look at the capability curve of the generator to make sure it can actually deliver 0.7 leading power factor. And to get to 0.7 power factor leading, the power plant will have to raise voltage. Make sure the voltage limits are not exceeded.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.