power company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever guttered over with tap conductors from the power company pull section to set a separate meter from the main
meter banks. This is a apartment complex and I have to set a commercial meter with test bypass for the house meter. Can anyone
help with the correct way to do this or have they ever done this before.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Has anyone ever guttered over with tap conductors from the power company pull section to set a separate meter from the main
meter banks. This is a apartment complex and I have to set a commercial meter with test bypass for the house meter. Can anyone

Hello Robert,Welcome to the forum..:thumbsup:

I'm not sure what you mean by "Guttered over with tap conductors".do you mean using a trough instead of pipe?

I want to use pipe

Yes I did this recently. You need to know and clarify if the "power company pull section" you referred to is on the utility or customer side of the service point. The one I did recently was an overhead that fed down into a buss gutter which then tapped off to 5 meters. I added a 6th. Not sure if this is similar to what you have. Be prepared to show a load calc or do a load measurement to add a meter.

Yes I did this recently. You need to know and clarify if the "power company pull section" you referred to is on the utility or customer side of the service point. The one I did recently was an overhead that fed down into a buss gutter which then tapped off to 5 meters. I added a 6th. Not sure if this is similar to what you have. Be prepared to show a load calc or do a load measurement to add a meter.[/QUOTE

Yes I have found that the tap must be made on the customer side but not sure if this maintains UL rating for the equipment. Do
you now

Yes I did this recently. You need to know and clarify if the "power company pull section" you referred to is on the utility or customer side of the service point. The one I did recently was an overhead that fed down into a buss gutter which then tapped off to 5 meters. I added a 6th. Not sure if this is similar to what you have. Be prepared to show a load calc or do a load measurement to add a meter.[/QUOTE

Yes I have found that the tap must be made on the customer side but not sure if this maintains UL rating for the equipment. Do
you now

I think it depends on how you make the tap. There are several options. Of course you could split bolt on to a conductor as long as the calculated load remains ok for the conductor. You could put a new lug on the buss if it has extra holes. If there are not extra holes you could drill one but there is a risk for the "listing violation" there. Another option would be to replace an existing lug with a double port lug. I cant see how any of these other than the drilling option could be considered a listing violation.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The last one I did, I did live. It was 120/240. I would bow out of doing it live if it was more than that. There were existing holes in all but one buss. I drilled that one. The inspector did hem and haw a bit but let it go.

And if you slipped with the drill?
Dude it's not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.