Power Adapter for PLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RNLENI

Occupation
Engineer
I am planning to make a PLC trainer kit (just a CPU) . I am going to use siemens S7 1500 PLC . .
Power will be taken from common wall outlet (120vac ).I was planning to do the traditional way of using breaker, 120VAC-24VDC power supply and fuses etc etc to feed the PLC.
But I was thinking of any Power Adapters that I can use for feeding my PLC . That way I can get rid of the hardware's like breaker and power supply etc

Is there any power adapters we can directly use for PLCs ? Is it safe and allowed ? If you know any type of adapter we can use , please suggest

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
There are many mfgs of din rail mount power supplies, red lion, Allen Bradley, pls direct, you will want a din rail mounted ac breaker, some fuses on the dc side

RNLENI

Occupation
Engineer
There are many mfgs of din rail mount power supplies, red lion, Allen Bradley, pls direct, you will want a din rail mounted ac breaker, some fuses on the dc side
Yep.That was the plan. But my question is, can we use a Power adpater instead of the power supply+breaker+ etc
Is there any power adapters we can directly use for PLCs ? Is it safe and allowed ? If you know any type of adapter we can use , please suggest

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
You must referring to a wall wart. I had an AB micrologix trainer kit that used a wall wart, worked ok.I have no suggestions on type or mfg. And yes good idea for a trainer

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't see why you couldn't use a wall wart if you could find one that was 24 volts. As for whether it's allowed or not it depends on who is giving you permission.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
as per code
Once you leave the receptacle then the nec is not usually concerned. My son teaches PLC and I believe their units just use a 24 v power supply plugged into a standard receptacle. I know the one he built for himself was built that way.

RNLENI

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks all ! I made one for personal purpose with a GE Nano micro PLC around 15 years back in India. I used just a 24vdc power adapter same like the one we use for Laptop. I wanted to know some thoughts when I do in US

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Siemens makes one for their little LOGO micro PLCs that is DIN rail mountable.
It would then be the same color as the PLC...

Status
Not open for further replies.