Portable Generators AVR Vs. Pure Sine Wave Inverter Ouput

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Been trying to gather some opinions as to whether or not a pure sine wave portable generator is really necessary (worth the additional cost) for a home back up system. For the most part the generator will be used to power electronic devices such as computers, TV's, circulator pumps etc. Generac uses Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) technology which they claim is good enough to run these items. Wondering if anyone had any experience using a portable with AVR and whether or not it's good.

Last edited:
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
About 10 years ago we had an ice storm that knocked power out for weeks to months in some areas. The older portable generators worked fine for everything, as long as they were connected properly and load was monitored. I would hope that technology has only improved the performance. The bigger ones use a lot of fuel which was hard to find until the roads improved enough to travel the 30 to 50 miles.

I have only seen a couple of the inverter style. Very quiet with a paralleling option on some of them.

mr.yavapai

In our area the POCO has power outages frequently and I have seen our server act rather strange on non inverted generators. I would not run sensitive equipment on non inverter generators although an alternative is to use a pure sine wave battery backup to help clean up the clutter. There are several good battery backups on the market at a reasonable price nowadays

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.