Portable Generators and Submersible Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlittle

NEC 250.34 discusses portable and vehicle-mounted generators. I have read it and I think I understand it but I continue to get questions from employees and various inspectors that seem to interpret it differently. I would like to generate some discussion on a specific situation. We use portable generators (wheel mounted that pull behind vehicles) to operate submersible pumps. Flexible conductors are attached to the lugs provided on the generator and run to enclosed disconnect switches. Flexible conductors run from the disconnect to the submersible pump. Is there any reason or requirement to provide a grounding electrode and grounding conductor to the generator? We rent some of these generators and own some others. Some of them have lugs that are labeled "ground". Why does the manufacturer provide an attachment for a grounding conductor if the unit is not required to be grounded?

iwire

Staff member
Re: Portable Generators and Submersible Pumps

If you are hardwiring the pumps to the generators you are required to provide grounding electrodes.

If the pumps are cord and plug connected no ground electrodes required.

mlittle

Re: Portable Generators and Submersible Pumps

Can you provide a more complete explanation? Why is a grounding electrode required in one instance and not the other? Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.