portable generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREEBALL

Ok I don't want to sound ignorant to safety and code compliance but I was posed a question and Im also curious. So here is the question.

A portable generator feeds through a cord to an inlet, 50 amp 120/240. from there the conductors are in pvc conduit. The ground is not bonded from the generator past the inlet. There is now 2 ungrounded and 1 grounded (neutral) to the transfer switch which the neutral is not bonded to the metal housing. and from there to the service panel where the neutral is bonded to ground. Now there is no parallel path back to the generator for neutral current and anything that would cause a short in the cord would be protected by the generator. Im sorry, corrected, the panel has an interlock kit installed not a transfer switch. Maybe Im missing something but why isn't this safe for temporary generator feed. I have installed many home stationary systems where the neutral is floatingh but this question has me confused I understand the NSDS and SDS but this install seems safe. Again just curious

Thanx
Jeff

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
IMHO the ground to neutral connection can be at the generator or inside the main panel, but either way you must run separate neutral and EGC wires between them.
The generator is not a utility service and cannot get by with just a combined grounded neutral.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Ok I don't want to sound ignorant to safety and code compliance but I was posed a question and Im also curious. So here is the question.

A portable generator feeds through a cord to an inlet, 50 amp 120/240. from there the conductors are in pvc conduit. The ground is not bonded from the generator past the inlet. There is now 2 ungrounded and 1 grounded (neutral) to the [/B]transfer switch which the neutral is not bonded to the metal housing. and from there to the service panel where the neutral is bonded to ground. Now there is no parallel path back to the generator for neutral current and anything that would cause a short in the cord would be protected by the generator. Im sorry, corrected, the panel has an interlock kit installed not a transfer switch. Maybe Im missing something but why isn't this safe for temporary generator feed. I have installed many home stationary systems where the neutral is floatingh but this question has me confused I understand the NSDS and SDS but this install seems safe. Again just curious

Thanx
Jeff

Is there an equipment ground ran from the generator back to the power panel?
It doesn't read like there is.

rlundsrud

IMHO the ground to neutral connection can be at the generator or inside the main panel, but either way you must run separate neutral and EGC wires between them.
The generator is not a utility service and cannot get by with just a combined grounded neutral.

I know you're aware of this golddigger, but I thought I would clarify this so the OP understands when to bond the neutral and when not to.

If the neutral is switched at the ATS then you must bond the neutral at the generator. Typically, with a portable generator, the neutral is not switched and the generator has a floating neutral. Also, as the other posters have mentioned, you must have an EGC installed between the generator and the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.