Portable generator converting to floating neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Helping relatives with portable generator connection, I installed a manual transfer switch for a floating neutral generator. The generator they bought is a bonded neutral, from harbor freight. Is it possible to unbond the neutral..probably bonded at the receptacles? I want a 120/240 30 amp output, if I unbond then the GFCI outlets shouldn't be used?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here is how my Generac neutral is bonded (it was bolted to the frame with the EGC) I would think that the HF generator has a similar bond. 10 minute job to un-bond it.

Generac Neutral 001.jpg

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Helping relatives with portable generator connection, I installed a manual transfer switch for a floating neutral generator. The generator they bought is a bonded neutral, from harbor freight. Is it possible to unbond the neutral..probably bonded at the receptacles? I want a 120/240 30 amp output, if I unbond then the GFCI outlets shouldn't be used?
Yeah, the gfci outlets would only detect faults only when plugged into house where the bond would be re-established. You could make a dummy plug for the 30 with the neutral and ground jumpered for use when not connected to the house.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
The GFCI will still function if the generator neutral is not bonded, but without the bond the fault path is much higher impedance. You will have an ungrounded system, which means that contact with the nominally 'hot' conductor will not cause much current flow.

Possibly there wouldn't even be a discernible shock. But if a few mA flow through this contact, it would trip the GFCI.

Because initial fault (say hot to exposed metal) might not be detected there would be a greater risk of a hot to neutral shock that the GFCI couldn't detect.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.