Pool water bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Unless maybe there is times that there isn't going to be pool water present at that location. That is probably rare in most installations though. I would think excessively low pool water level wouldn't be a condition you would need to be concerned about either.
Excessively low water would also keep things like ladders out of the water too. I'm thinking that the water bond is to mitigate problems with electric accessories like a heater, pump, lights, etc. Probably not an issue if the pool is only 1/2 full.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
In reading that section I see no reason why a metal fitting couldn't be installed at the pump.
I often wondered why if a heater is installed, the heat exchanger, a combo of copper and nickel, would not not qualify as a water bond. The pool water is in constant contact.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I often wondered why if a heater is installed, the heat exchanger, a combo of copper and nickel, would not not qualify as a water bond. The pool water is in constant contact.

in direct contact with an approved corrosion-resistant conductive surface
I think that approved (not necessarily listed) may be the kicker here.

Simple

This is what I have see used on pools that are all plastic including ladders and slides and have no niche for bond.

Attachments

• IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17

kwired

Electron manager
This is what I have see used on pools that are all plastic including ladders and slides and have no niche for bond.
Does it have the minimum NEC required 9 square inches of contact with the water? Has to have something much more than what is obvious on the inside to comply.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does it have the minimum NEC required 9 square inches of contact with the water? Has to have something much more than what is obvious on the inside to comply.
Looks like the fitting that Mystic linked to in post #8.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
Why wasn’t the pools electrical install inspected?

The bonding was inspected. I inspected it. Everything was bonded according according the NEC except the water. The pool people told me that they will do it later. They wanted to pour the concrete around the pool. I trusted that they would do it but they did not do it. With the information that was given here, I was able to locate a listed way of bonding the water with a Tee fitting and other components. I gave this information to the home owner. He said that he will call his electrician to correct the hazard. Sorry for not getting back sooner. Thanks for everyone help. Bill

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The bonding was inspected. I inspected it. Everything was bonded according according the NEC except the water. The pool people told me that they will do it later. They wanted to pour the concrete around the pool. I trusted that they would do it but they did not do it. With the information that was given here, I was able to locate a listed way of bonding the water with a Tee fitting and other components. I gave this information to the home owner. He said that he will call his electrician to correct the hazard. Sorry for not getting back sooner. Thanks for everyone help. Bill
It is not the electricians job to install the Tee fitting. He can run the bond wire, but the pool store needs to install the fitting.

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
It is not the electricians job to install the Tee fitting. He can run the bond wire, but the pool store needs to install the fitting.
The Electrician is also a friend of the home owner. The electrician said that he would also install the Tee fitting. I am just glad that it is getting installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.