Pool Sub-panel Grounding

titan1021

I've got a client with an existing pool equipment sub-panel that was originally wired with only three wires, 2-hots and a neutral. Is it acceptable to install a ground electrode at the equipment to ground the existing panel or would it be required to pull in a new ground wire from the source.
It seems from what I've been able to find so far that being that it's an older existing installation a ground rod would be acceptable in leu of a ground wire.
I realize that any new installations require a ground wire that originates with the rest of the sub-feed.
Thanks

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Never is a ground rod able to take the place of a EGC. ( as I know your separate structure needs an GES) I can’t answer your question as I do not know. I know older installations before 08 maybe allowed sub panels bonded to neutral. But with the whole pool aspect I have no idea.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If it was installed before the 208 (?) it was allowed. If you do add a rod, then it would need to land on the neutral bar of the subpanel. Normally the rod would go to the ground bar in a sub, but since this is not being treated as a sub, it goes on the neutral. Also, the panel should be bonded.