Pool Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

satcom

We have 1/2" rigid conduit with one GFCI protected 20A circuit feeding a pool pump, now the owner wants to add another pump for a hot tub, this pump motor will be a 1 1/2 HP at 220v 9A, the last time we pulled another pump feed through the same conduit, we were taged, what am i missing.

pfelmey

Re: Pool Pumps

More than 1 pump feed in a conduit is allowed as long as both circuits are gfi protected. In relation to pools you can not mix non-gfi and gfi circuits in the same conduit. I assume that the first circuit is protected by a GFI breaker and you are hard-wiring the 220V pump in which GFI is not required. However if it is installed in the same conduit as a GFI protected circuit it must also be GFI protected.

txsparky

My 02 book is at work, but I believe pfelmey is referring to lighting circuits for pools. 680-5(c), and 680-20(a)(1). The gfci requirement would be there if the gfci protected lighting circuit conductors were ran in the same conduit.

[ May 17, 2004, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: txsparky ]

bill addiss

When you got tagged what was the voltage requirements of the original pump and the depth of the conduit?

Bill

So, if I run a 1" PVC from the changing house (where the sub-panel is located) to the area where the filter (120 v), heat pump (220 v) and underwater light (120 v with 12 volt transformer at the light)are located, I either need to have all the GFCIs at the panel or all at the equipment and not mix GFCI protected and non-protected conductors in the same pipe?

Thanks Bill. That was pretty clear and I understand the reasoning now. No sense in protecting one circuit with a GFI and having another unprotected one in the same pipe burn up for some reason and arc over to the other.

satcom

Bill,

1/2" rigid conduit 7" below grade.

Original Pump 120V, New pump 1-1/2 Hp 220V

[ May 18, 2004, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: satcom ]

Status
Not open for further replies.