Pool GFCI breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If this thread is a duplicate I apologize. A friend asked me this question and I did not know the answer but he said he would ask the question here in the Forum. On a Siemens GFCI circuit breaker that he is using for pool equipment the spec sheet states that it is not to be used on pool equipment installed before 1964 (I think - not sure that is the date). Irrespective of the date does anyone know the reason why ?

Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I looked through the 1965 and 1968 NEC. The 1965 says that pool lights can be protected by "the use of differential type circuit protection" whatever that means. The 1968 says "the use of a ground fault circuit interrupter". So I'm not sure about the 1964 date but when GFCI's were first introduced for pools they were a higher trip level (20 milliamp) due to the higher leakage current of the equipment at the time. They were called Class B, modern GFCI's are Class A with the standard 4-6 milliamp trip so I could see an issue with using the newer technology on an old pool. That's all I got. :giggle:

retirede

Agree with Infinity.
Siemens states that likely because they anticipate nuisance tripping with the older equipment.
It’s hard to imagine that there’s much pool equipment that old still in service. It should probably be replaced anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.