Pool floor drain bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grouch1980

Hi all,
I think this is my first question in the bonding and grounding section. yay!... anyway, AHEM..

Using the 2008 NEC code cycle in NYC...

We're designing an indoor swimming pool... there's no perimeter trench drain around the pool, but rather individual cast iron floor drains around the perimeter, all within 5 feet of the pool. Would I run an individual #8 bonding conductor from each floor drain to the pool's structural rebar? or run from each floor drain to the perimeter structural reinforcing steel? or should i just daisy chain all the floor drains together and make one connection to the perimeter steel? is there any code required way or can i select any method? And the metal piping that connects all the floor drains underground... i'm assuming that's not required to be bonded correct?

Thanks as always.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
Hi all,
I think this is my first question in the bonding and grounding section. yay!... anyway, AHEM..

Using the 2008 NEC code cycle in NYC...

We're designing an indoor swimming pool... there's no perimeter trench drain around the pool, but rather individual cast iron floor drains around the perimeter, all within 5 feet of the pool. Would I run an individual #8 bonding conductor from each floor drain to the pool's structural rebar? or run from each floor drain to the perimeter structural reinforcing steel? or should i just daisy chain all the floor drains together and make one connection to the perimeter steel? is there any code required way or can i select any method? And the metal piping that connects all the floor drains underground... i'm assuming that's not required to be bonded correct?

Thanks as always.
Sorry, don’t have a 2008 handy, but it appears all three methods you proposed to bond the metal floor drains would be compliant( at least according to the 2017). That to understanding that the drains you described are fixed metal parts. 680.26(B)(7). Trying to picture the second part of your question.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
All three methods would be fine. Usually you will just see short jumpers going to the closest deck rebar. The rebar is all tied together with tie wire and 4 #8 jumpers to the pool shell from the deck. This is of course assuming the rebar is not epoxy coated. Then you would have a solid #8 bare copper wire for the pool shell going back to the equipment room.

Grouch1980

Sorry, don’t have a 2008 handy, but it appears all three methods you proposed to bond the metal floor drains would be compliant( at least according to the 2017). That to understanding that the drains you described are fixed metal parts. 680.26(B)(7). Trying to picture the second part of your question.
Thanks! So the second part of my question... each floor drain is connected to a metal pipe that goes underground... all these branch pipes connect to one larger pipe that takes away all the water. All of these pipes are underground. So for example, would each branch pipe that terminates in a floor drain also be required to be bonded?

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
This sounds like an upscale project-right in my wheel house.

Instead of the cast iron drains, there are companies that fabricate custom natural stone grates. No need to worry about bonding. Plus, the cast iron will most certainly rust. Your drain pipe should be Sch 40 PVC or SDR 35 plastic. Unless your hooking into an existing cast iron pipe.

Grouch1980

Thanks! I'll check with my plumbing engineer to see what the drain pipes are made of. I didn't think of PVC actually, that's what they might be. Regarding the floor drains, they're sticking with cast iron, i think it's the facility standard. Thanks for the PVC tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.