Pool Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
electrician
Do I run my #8 halo bond to the sub panel? Or do I just run it around the pool, connect it equally distanced around the pool, and to all metal parts.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The "halo" is not required to run back to the panel. If the supports are metal & connected together, you hit them in four places equally spaced around the pool. You need to also bond the pool equipment, such as the pump motor. Don't forget the water bond.

Welcome to the Forum!

Occupation
electrician
I'm running 125 amps from the main panel to the sub panel. From the sub panel I'll run power to the two pumps, heat pump, and chlorinater. There's also 3 low voltage nichless lights.

The halo bond will be ran around the pool, connected equally distanced at 4 points, and ran to the each equipment. Am I to run the bond to the pool sub panel? Sometimes there's a lug at the bottom (on the outside) of the sub panel.

Thank you for the information and acceptance in this forum.

shortcircuit2

Sometimes there's a lug at the bottom (on the outside) of the sub panel.

Thank you for the information and acceptance in this forum.

What do the installation instructions say regarding that lug on the bottom of the panel?

Here is what the Pentair instructions say...

Grounding and Bonding Connections Connect a ground conductor from the primary house electrical panel to the Load Center or Power Center GROUND BUS BAR (see page 27). Also ground each piece of high voltage (120 VAC or 240VAC) equipment that is connected to the Load Center or Power Center relays or circuit breakers. Also connect the Load Center and Power Center to the pool bonding system using 8 AWG (6 AWG for Canada) conductor. There are two (2) GROUND LUGS provides on the bottom of the Load Center and Power Center.

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Bonding and Grounding are different items. Your #8 solid that connects to the motors, exposed metal, and the rebar, etc... is the equipotential bond. The second terminal on the Pentair is the GROUND requirement, it goes back with the supply wiring to whatever is feeding it. The fact that this equipment jumps the two together likely is neither required or disallowed by the code.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What do the installation instructions say regarding that lug on the bottom of the panel?

Grounding and Bonding Connections Connect a ground conductor from the primary house electrical panel to the Load Center or Power Center GROUND BUS BAR (see page 27). Also ground each piece of high voltage (120 VAC or 240VAC) equipment that is connected to the Load Center or Power Center relays or circuit breakers. Also connect the Load Center and Power Center to the pool bonding system using 8 AWG (6 AWG for Canada) conductor. There are two (2) GROUND LUGS provides on the bottom of the Load Center and Power Center.
Bonding and Grounding are different items. Your #8 solid that connects to the motors, exposed metal, and the rebar, etc... is the equipotential bond. The second terminal on the Pentair is the GROUND requirement, it goes back with the supply wiring to whatever is feeding it. The fact that this equipment jumps the two together likely is neither required or disallowed by the code.
That is just silly! The code doesn't require it! The panel is already bonded by the feed by the EGC that is in with the feed. Also, the pool equipment has an EGC run to it as well. So why the extra bond and/or grounding lug?

Occupation
electrician
The "halo" is not required to run back to the panel. If the supports are metal & connected together, you hit them in four places equally spaced around the pool. You need to also bond the pool equipment, such as the pump motor. Don't forget the water bond.

Welcome to the Forum!
Thank you for the information.

Occupation
electrician

I don't have the pool panel make and model yet. I will ask the homeowner for that information and see what the installation instructions say.

Thank you for your input.

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Perhaps, I'm misunderstanding you. Understand that these things often are used outside of the structure feeding them. When that is the case, there's going to need to be a ground separate from the bonding and the ground in the feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.