Pool Bonding Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank_n

Does the central A/C unit have to be bonded to the bonding grid? If it does, does the disconnect have to be bonded to the grid? The A/C unit is within 5 feet, but the disconnect is not.

I believe that it does not have to be grounded because 680.26(B)(4) applies to Electrical Equipment associated with the pool circulating system.

I beleive that it should not be grounded because the grounded conductor in the A/C unit should not be connected to the bonding grid. Doing so might allow voltage from the grounded conductor to pass through the bonding grid.

Am I right? What are your thoughts?

frank_n

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Pool Bonding Grid

Frank, look at the graphic and text from Mike Holt's training information below.

1100723312_2.jpg

Now read item 5 and its sub notes 1 and 2 below.

Change requires an equipotential bonding grid be installed to reduce voltage gradients in and around permanently installed pools, outdoor spas, and outdoor hot tubs.

(B) Bonded Parts. The following parts of a permanently installed pool, outdoor spa, and outdoor hot tub must be bonded to a equipotential bonding grid of the type specified in 680.26(C).

Author?s Comment: See 680.42(B) for the bonding methods permitted for outdoor spas and hot tubs.

(1) Metallic Parts of Structure. All metallic parts of the water structure, including the reinforcing metal of the permanently installed pool, outdoor spa, and outdoor hot tub shell and deck, must be bonded to the equipotential grid. The usual steel tie wires are considered suitable for bonding the reinforcing steel together for this purpose. Welding or special clamping is not required, but the tie wires must be made tight. Figure 680-4

Where the reinforcing steel of the permanently installed pool, outdoor spa, and outdoor hot tub shell and deck are encapsulated with a nonconductive compound or if it?s not available, an equipotential grid constructed in accordance with 680.26(C) must be installed to mask stray voltage gradients.

(2) Underwater Lighting. All metal forming shells for underwater permanently installed pool, outdoor spa, and outdoor hot tub luminaires and speakers.
(3) Metal Fittings. Metal fittings within or attached to the permanently installed pool, outdoor spa, and outdoor hot tub structure, such as ladders and handrails.
(4) Electrical Equipment. Metal parts of electrical equipment associated with the permanently installed pool, outdoor spa, and outdoor hot tub water circulating system, such as water heaters and pump motors. Accessible metal parts of listed equipment incorporating a system of double insulation and providing a means for grounding internal metal parts are not required to be directly bonded to the equipotential grid.
(5) Metal Wiring Methods and Equipment. Metal-sheathed cables and raceways, metal piping, and all fixed metal parts, as well as metallic surfaces of electrical equipment, must be bonded to the equipotential grid if located:
(1) Within 5 ft horizontally of the inside walls of the permanently installed pool, outdoor spa, and outdoor hot tub, and
(2) Within 12 ft measured vertically above the maximum water level of the permanently installed pool, outdoor spa, and outdoor hot tub, or any observation stands, towers, or platforms or any diving structures.
The intent has nothing to do with "grounding", but rather keeping every thing at equal potential.

We could even have all items energized with 120 volts and be safe (in theory) if they are bonded together to achieve equipotential.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I think "Nonconductive Steel" is refering to plastic coated rebar such as used in bridge building.

Roger

jwelectric

could it be?

If reinforcing steel is effectively insulated by an encapsulating nonconductive compound at the time of manufacture and installation, it shall not be required to be bonded.
:D :D

electricmanscott

Originally posted by roger:
I think "Nonconductive Steel" is refering to plastic coated rebar such as used in bridge building.

Roger
I think this is correct. When this is the case you now have to make your own grid.

Status
Not open for further replies.