Pool bond in same conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a friend who purchased and installed a metal prefabricated pergola pretty close to his pool. He asked if I could add a GFCI receptacle, when I saw how close to the pool it was (about two feet) I said this needs to be bonded to the pool bond for your protection. (The receptacle will be plenty for enough)
A conduit was run from the vicinity of the pool equipment for the receptacle when they laid the new concrete deck. My question is can I run the insulated pool bond in the same conduit? I am worried that maybe inductance may play a roll in changing the potential, therefore unequal to the pool defeating the purpose?

Buck Parrish

I agree with Dennis .
If the outlet is that close - Kill it, unhook it.
Plus you would never want to run your equipotential bond in a conduit with 120 volts.. It attaches to the outside housing of the appliance. pump, heater, light transformer, salt meter.
Mike Holt says "Never attach your equipotential some where it is not required". When it comes to your pools, you want to back up all your decisions with facts. I know you do, that's why you came here (y)

See here -

The outlet will be over 12 feet away, that is not my question. I have a 12 x 12 completely metal pergola within 2 feet of the pool. This needs to be bonded so my question is can I run the bond in the same conduit as a branch circuit to the receptacle.

Buck Parrish

The outlet will be over 12 feet away, that is not my question. I have a 12 x 12 completely metal pergola within 2 feet of the pool. This needs to be bonded so my question is can I run the bond in the same conduit as a branch circuit to the receptacle.
NO, It wouldn't be prudent.

Buck Parrish

View attachment 2557350

So my question is, what makes this difference then the screen enclosure that I have bonded my whole 35 year career? It is bolted in place with a footer. I’m not necessarily disagreeing I’m just trying to put that out there looking for the difference.
Think of it like this. Would you be comfortable laying an energized extension cord up against the screen enclosure or the metal pergola? It's insulated, so no worries, right? No you wouldn't be comfortable doing that . If you run it in the same conduit as the 120 volt power. It's the same thing or worst or even worse.
This is long term not a temp job.
Maybe I'm over reacting. But I wouldn't do it. In my opinion it would be better off not attached to the equipotential bonding wire at all. Otherwise it will be bonded laying right up against a 120 volt wire. It's simply not prudent.

You know when we run equipment grounding wires every where. It's because we already have the 120 volt power there. Your pergola does not and should not.

Just take a concrete cutting blade in from the short end. Cut a little trough in. Squeeze your #8 in that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.