Pole base form construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I've got 20 pole bases to form. Plans call for 2'x2''x7' base. 2' out of the ground. Base must be square and have a chamfered edge on top. Thinking about the forms would you just use plywood to form up. I was thinking 3/4" plywood screwed together. I've never formed a pole base so I'd love some pointers if somebody has them.

Thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree with Bob, contract this out to a concrete forming crew if you have never done it. Just screwing plywood together will not work for this size, they will "blow out".

With that said I have done quite a few like you have, you would need to band them in the middle with extra wood such as 2x4's, steel, tie wire, or something that will hold the forms together, the chamfered edges are not a big deal, cut it or buy it and tack it to the top edge.

A vibrator will help to keep voids from showing up after the forms are removed and even then they will most likely need to be rubbed to have a finished appearance.

Roger

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I assume you'll want to run the wiring up from the base to the center of the top. Add the pipe/fittings/boxes to the form before pouring the concrete!

And how about the mounting bolts for the light poles? Usually, that's a metal plate with adjustable bolts... Does the base of the intended pole cover the mounting bolts?

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Thanks guys I was leaning towards subbing it out. Never done pole bases before. I don’t have the patterns yet but the engineer specified the lights and engineered the pole base and blolts etc so I’m assuming they will work together. Obviously more coordination will be done.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
I would sub it out. Concrete guys do this all the time and as mentioned, the concrete vibrator is necessary prevent any honeycombs from forming on the outside.

Sonotube

Sonotube

I've got 20 pole bases to form. Plans call for 2'x2''x7' base. 2' out of the ground. Base must be square and have a chamfered edge on top. Thinking about the forms would you just use plywood to form up. I was thinking 3/4" plywood screwed together. I've never formed a pole base so I'd love some pointers if somebody has them.

Thanks

Check out square Sonotubes.

https://www.sonotube.com/

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Another question on the same job. Do you guys usually auger it the hole for the base or dig it out. Auger seems easier but I would need a minimum 3’ hole.

kwired

Electron manager
Another question on the same job. Do you guys usually auger it the hole for the base or dig it out. Auger seems easier but I would need a minimum 3’ hole.

Does it have to be square below grade or just square for the exposed portion? appearance is only reason I can see for wanting it square in most cases. Hard to dig a square hole that size, easy to dig a round hole that size with auger type digger.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Is precast an option?

Over here we can get most any size and configuration a person would want for a pole base.

Status
Not open for further replies.