Poke Thru Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

If you guys had a bunch of poke thrus that had 1 power conduit(3/4”) and 1 tele-data conduit( 1-1/4”) would you core 2 separate return cores at the column you going up/down or 1 common core to accommodate both conduits? Thanks.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Ideally, you should not run data/comm circuits in parallel with power circuits. Too easy for the 60-cycle hummmmm to invade the data/comm circuits. Shielding or conduit provides some protection...

mstrlucky74

Ideally, you should not run data/comm circuits in parallel with power circuits. Too easy for the 60-cycle hummmmm to invade the data/comm circuits. Shielding or conduit provides some protection...

But the conduits are together at the poke thru. Also, they usually run pretty close together from poke thru to wall/column.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
One core big enough for two conduits unless it wouldn't fit in the wall if it's being furred out.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer

mstrlucky74

Normally when you core drill, you would fill in the interstitial space with a non-shrink grout or a 1 hour, 2 hour or 4 hour fire-rated system. This isn't always necessary, but in terms of fire protection..a fire-rated wall would not last as long as it should if there are unfilled penetrations.

https://www.uniquefirestop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/UL-XHEZ.W-J-3110.pdf as an example

OK I understand but not sure how firestopping 1 large core with two conduits or 2 smaller cores with one conduit each makes much of a difference.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
OK I understand but not sure how firestopping 1 large core with two conduits or 2 smaller cores with one conduit each makes much of a difference.

I guess i spoke without knowing. I meant to say it seems (to me) like it would be easier to fill a circular interstitial space versus whatever you have with multiple conduits. Sounds like there isn't too much of a difference except the perception by the owner because the finish would look different.

Status
Not open for further replies.