Plug strips in series

Status
Not open for further replies.

natfuelbill

Any UL and NEC references that disallow using power strips and/or extension cords in series?

[ March 24, 2004, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: natfuelbill ]

iwire

Staff member
Re: Plug strips in series

2003 UL White Book.
RELOCATABLE POWER TAPS (XBYS)

USE AND INSTALLATION

This category covers relocatable power taps rated 250 V ac or less, 20 A or less, intended for indoor use as relocatable multiple outlet extensions of a branch circuit to supply laboratory equipment, home workshops, home
movie lighting controls, musical instrumentation, and to provide outlet receptacles for computers, audio and video equipment, and other equipment.

They consist of an attachment plug and a length of flexible cord terminated in an enclosure in which one or more receptacles are mounted.

They may, in addition, be provided with fuses or other supplementary overcurrent protection, switches, suppression components and/or indicator
lights in any combination, or connections for cable, communications, telephone and/or antenna.

Relocatable power taps are intended to be directly connected to a permanently installed branch circuit receptacle.

Relocatable power taps are not intended to be series connected (daisy chained) to other relocatable power taps or to extension cords.

Relocatable power taps are not intended for use at construction sites and similar locations.

Relocatable power taps are not intended to be permanently secured to building structures, tables, work benches or similar structures, nor are they intended to be used as a substitute for fixed wiring.

The cords of relocatable power taps are not intended to be routed through walls, windows, ceilings, floors or similar openings.

Relocatable power taps are not intended for use with medical, dental, or health care facilities equipment.

iwire

Staff member
Re: Plug strips in series

Originally posted by bennie:
Is "not intended" the same a not approved?
I have no idea, I guess that would be up to the AHJ and you and I both know many that will say no not approved. :p

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.