Plenum rated speaker wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyrex

Hey guys, great forum! There seems to be some debate on the subject, but will I need to use plenum rated speaker wire in a suspended ceiling application? The unit is a chiropractors office in a strip mall. Thanks!

ryan_618

Re: Plenum rated speaker wire?

Is your ceiling an "other space used for enviromental air" as discussed in 300.22?

In other words, does the ceiling act as the return air, or ar the air returns ducted?

tyrex

It's been 2 weeks since I've looked at it, but I believe the ceiling would act as the return air. I will check again. Thanks for the reply.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Some people think that speakers and wiring don't matter. Same rules apply to the wiring and you may be required to use backboxes, not open speakers. Check with the AHJ.

-Hal

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Don't forget to use CL2 or CL3 rated cable. Zip cord style speaker wire is not listed for use when concealed by walls, ceilings etc. If it's a plenum than you'll need CL2P or CL3P cable or equal.

mdshunk

Originally posted by tyrex:
Thanks hbiss, we always use fire rated speaker enclosures.
Holy cow. And you can bid this way and get work, or is it mostly T&M? Curious...

tyrex

To be honest, we use the enclosures for the improved sound performance, both the better bottom end and reduced transmitted noise which is a biggie in 2 story homes. We point it out during the bid process and I think it makes it look like the other guys are cutting corners. I just tell people if you want it done right this is how, if you want it done cheap there are other ways. The few bids we lose purely over cost are probably not customers we wanted anyway. The fact that they are fire rated is just a bonus and second selling point for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.