Plastic water pipe from community system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesl

Is the small accompaning about size #10 wire brought in with the community water service lateral (similar to the wire brought to the property with the plastic gas incoming line to outside meter) supposed to be used in bonding? It is an insulated wire, and I wonder what is done with it on the other end during installation by excavating crews. My guess is that the pipe is manufactured with this wire in parallel?

charlie

Re: Plastic water pipe from community system

A "trace" wire is used by the water company to put a tone on so their pipe may be located in the future. Plastic pipe can not be located without help.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Charlie,
Plastic pipe can not be located without help.
"Witching Sticks" work great for plastic pipe. I've seen a number of utility locaters find the underground utilities with the sticks when the expensive electronic equipment couldn't.
Don

russellroberts

For what it's worth, I've seen my son find pvc and black plastic waterlines many times with a piece of #12 bare copper in each hand.

He's right about 90% of the time.

For whatever reason, I can't do it,but I've seen it work many times.

Russell

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I never believed that a person could find underground objects with bent metal rods until a few years ago. We were installing a foundation for a 1.2 meg natural gas fired generator in the boiler house of a college. There were 15kV distribution lines below the floor so we hired a locator to find them for us. He used some electronic equipment and marked the floor, but then he pulled out his rods (witching sticks), and double checked. I gave him a hard time about charging us so much money and then doing this. He said that he always double checks with the rods and sometimes finds things that the equipment missed. He handed me the rods and told me to close my eyes. He then walked me around the room a bit and told me to walk slowly keeping my eyes closed and to stop when I felt the rods move. When I stopped, I was directly over one of his marks. He sells locating equipment and teaches classes on how to use the equipment. At each class he also shows off the "witching sticks". At the start of the class most won't believe that the sticks can work, but when he is done everybody believes and about 50% can make them work.
Don

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Yes Don witching can be effective. I suspect there are folks who are better than others and that is where some of black magic aspect came from.
One time I had to locate a concrete abestos water main (8"), there were three of us who witched it. We found something, but not the water main as I found it the next day with a ditch witch. Of course this was on a friday afternoon.

jerryf

I use to always use witching sticks to verify utility markouts. Found the utilities wrong lots of times. 2 coat hangers work well for me and my price range. (free) :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.