"Plainly Visible" NEC 706.4

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
I got plans that have the battery system located underneath the PV array. This is my first time looking over plans with batteries in them so I was reading through 706 when I noticed 706.4 requires that the nameplate be "plainly visible" and could not find a definition for it. My concern now, is that putting the batteries underneath the array makes the nameplate not longer plainly visible. The angle of the solar cell and the mounting bracket wont provide much room for reading that label without a camera.

NEC2020

Side note, who decided that ESS batteries are not storage batteries. It is the weirdest distinction. I know fly-wheels exist, but to say batteries used for ESS are not batteries storing energy is wild. The difference between them, in the NEC handbook, being support systems (racks), Charge controller, and inverters, and does not have a listing as ESS. When I see the ESS install instructions, it requires a mounting apparatus (rack) and inverter. Sounds like someone probably paid quiet a bit to get that listing made so that they could get their own classification.

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Since the term "plainly visible" is not defined in the NEC, leaving it is up to the AHJ to determine. With a system like the Yotta it seems like it would be difficult to comply with any reasonable interpretation but these are being installed so the AHJs must be okay with it for the most part. But there may be AHJs that would not allow it, best to ask first.

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Licensed Electrician and General Contractor
I got plans that have the battery system located underneath the PV array. This is my first time looking over plans with batteries in them so I was reading through 706 when I noticed 706.4 requires that the nameplate be "plainly visible" and could not find a definition for it. My concern now, is that putting the batteries underneath the array makes the nameplate not longer plainly visible. The angle of the solar cell and the mounting bracket wont provide much room for reading that label without a camera.

NEC2020

Side note, who decided that ESS batteries are not storage batteries. It is the weirdest distinction. I know fly-wheels exist, but to say batteries used for ESS are not batteries storing energy is wild. The difference between them, in the NEC handbook, being support systems (racks), Charge controller, and inverters, and does not have a listing as ESS. When I see the ESS install instructions, it requires a mounting apparatus (rack) and inverter. Sounds like someone probably paid quiet a bit to get that listing made so that they could get their own classification.

I suppose you could argue that each battery is part of the overall ESS. The nameplate is no less visible on the roof than the micro inverter and PV module itself. Further, since these are DC coupled or really PV coupled (since they go between the module itself and the micro inverter) they’re a bit of a unique case.