Physical Protection for Surface Mounted Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

Cement block building has surface mounted receptacles fed by surface mounted EMT. Duplex receptacles get run into by carts with equipment on them, etc. causing damage and hazard to receptacles.

Anyone know what works good other than picture framing some lumber and cut nailing it to the wall?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
We had one that the same fork lift driver kept knocking off the wall. When I was asked how I could solve it from happening, I simply said "fire the fork lift driver." They finally did but only after they had put in some new vinyl coated chain link fence and he ran a fork lift down it for about 10' about three days after it was installed. It's ok to rip the electrical off the wall, but don't mess with our new fence.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Cement block building has surface mounted receptacles fed by surface mounted EMT. Duplex receptacles get run into by carts with equipment on them, etc. causing damage and hazard to receptacles.

Anyone know what works good other than picture framing some lumber and cut nailing it to the wall?

Depending on the size of the carts (this idea probably won't stop a determined forklift driver), place a piece of angle iron on either side of the box. It's a stronger version of the lumber idea you had.

Make sure the flanges of the angle iron are proud of the front face of the receptacle and use concrete anchors to tie them to the wall. 2-1/2" x 1/4" angle iron should be about right, heightwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.