photo eye vs. dimmer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: photo eye vs. dimmer switch

I think it depends on the brand, but most PEs seem to work just fine.

The problem with dimmers is that they reduce the volateg to the light and flourescents just don't work with the reduced voltage.

The PE is basically just a switch.

hmmmmmmm, thanks for the reply.

the scenario is..... outdoor coachlight with photo eye properly wired..proper voltage...energy saving outdoor rated florescent screw in type lamps keep burning out very quickly (in a matter of days) .....supposed to last 5 to 7 years.

Thought photo eye could be the problem.

Installed standard incandescent lamp yesterday...will see how that goes.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

There are some photo controls that use a triac instead of a electro-mechanical relay. I suspect this might be the case here because of the limited space in the base of the fixture.

These operate much like a dimmer except there is only full on or off. They can distort the waveform much like a dimmer and this wouldn't be a problem with incandescents but could cause problems with fluorescents because of their ballasts.

This may not always be the case though and one would think that a fixture like this should be able to use energy efficient lamps. There is no information about fixture quality or brand which may have some meaning here.

-Hal

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Hal,

I'll second that. It appears to me that we are in a new era of energy efficient and inexpensive compact flourescent lamps. I've recently seen blister packs of eight 13 watt lamps selling for $8.97. . .total. . .$1.11 per compact fluorescent; and with a form factor almost equal to a 60A19! Light as a feather.

The ballast has to be a switching power supply / high frequency generator, which means the "bulb" is now highly nonlinear, that it is far from the resistive nature of an incandescent bulb.

I ran across some really good looking compact fluorescent reflector floods rated for exterior, exposed, and to operate down to -20?F. I snapped up a few and put them in a motion detector flood. . .no joy! The triac switch in the motion detector and the CF ballast won't play together.

Status
Not open for further replies.