phase converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlane

I have a number of clients who want to purchase 3-phase 208 volt motorized equipment. Is there a simple and economical way to convert these motors to single phase 220?

iwire

Staff member
Convert the motors? No.

You may be able to replace the motors with single phase models....if space allows. A single phase motor of a given HP will be larger than the same HP in 3 phase.

You can convert the single phase supply to 3 phase a number of different ways.

Keep in mind that a 3 phase load supplied by a single phase source will require 1.73 times the current and that is not including the losses in the conversion equipment.

tlane

phase converter options

phase converter options

That is probably a better way to describe what I want to do. How would one convert single phase to 3-phase? or is it possible?

Thank You

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
There are static and rotary phase converters on the market. I have not needed to specify either. Perhaps others can better describe their experiences.

natfuelbill

I will be ordering two Phase converters from Phase Technologies, LLC 1141 Rand Road Rapid City SD 57702 (866) 250-7934

I asked them about a million questions about their product, and couldn't find a reason not to proceed.

Give them a call.

Bill

hey_poolboy

Tlane, and others,

I appologize for the comment in my previous post. That was not very becomming, or constructive.

If you google "phase converter" you can find a plethora of manufacturers. In between all of the DIY phase converter pages of course.

Building your own converter is quite interesting though, and you can gain a wealth of information in the process. Don't know that I would use mine commercially, but it gives me something to tinker with.

00Wirenut

VFD to convert single phase to three phase

VFD to convert single phase to three phase

I'm using a VFD to convert single phase to three phase. The results are shaky at best.

The motor I?m using is a three phase 240 VAC, 7.5 horsepower.

The VFD?s display shows an output of 60 Hz.
The terminal block that it is wired to is measured by a fluke 87 and it reads a
Max 104.26 Hz Min 59.93 Hz Avg is 72.65 Hz.

This motor was started by taking T1 from the breaker to an HOA switch to the coil.

The Voltage is:

L1 to Gnd = 145 ? 165 VAC
L2 to Gnd = 152 ? 167 VAC
L3 to Gnd = 152 ? 170 VAC

The Phases are:

L1 to L2 = 260.2 VAC
L2 to L3 = 260.2 VAC
L3 to L1 = 260.3 VAC

The Amps are:

T1 = 6.8 ? 7.5
T2 = 6.8 ? 7.1
T3 = 6.7 ? 7.0