PHASE CONVERTER

Status
Not open for further replies.

billydrowne

Occupation
electrician
Looking at potentially installing a phase converter to get 3 phase in a customers home for a piece of equipment. obviously the house is single phase 120/240v, equipment is 3 phase 220v 25A. Anyone with experience working on these have any advice on what to be aware of or anything you ran into? Never installed one and just want to make sure it all goes smoothly. thank you in advance

synchro

Occupation
EE
Be sure to clarify what voltage it requires. Online I see that some heat presses say they need "220/380 3-phase" even though they initially just mention 220V which can be misleading. If it needs a 380Y/220 supply then that implies the press is probably intended for 50 Hz operation. If so then it would be good to check whether there's nameplate or documentation that confirms 60 Hz is OK.

Last edited:

billydrowne

Occupation
electrician
Be sure to clarify what voltage it requires. Online I see that some heat presses say they need "220/380 3-phase" even though they initially just mention 220V which can be misleading. If it needs a 380Y/220 supply then that implies the press is probably intended for 50 Hz operation. If so then it would be good to check whether there's nameplate or documentation that confirms 60 Hz is OK.

everything I got sent says 3 phase 220v, and all nameplate photos show it rated 50/60Hz, and one another component 220/380v. its hooked up now to what I'm assuming is 480 distribution with step down transform probably to 208, and its been running fine but I'm honestly not sure the secondary voltage. Think if I find out what its running off of now and take it to a phase converter dealer they could have a good suggestion? appreciate the feedback.

gar

Occupation
EE
210120-2200 EST

Suppose the heater is wired as three resistors connected in a wye, then those resistors can be connected in parallel and fed single phase from 220 V. The resistors are probably the major power load.

Thus, any real three phase loads are probably small. A small rotary converter could be used for their power, or a VFD run at fixed frequency, or a capacitor type phase shifter (which I don't like).

A rotary converter is usually just a three phase induction motor fed from single phase, and a start capacitor to get it started, and provide some addition phase shift current path from the ingle phase source. Or you can use a pull cord to start.

A synchronous three phase motor is either a motor or an alternator depending upon how it is loaded. This is probably a better phase converter, but more expensive than an induction motor. Or you could use a single phase motor to mechanically drive an alternator. This could be a good way if you needed a frequency conversion which would be accomplished via the belt drive ratio.

kwired

Electron manager
There are rotary converters, solid-state converters, and FVDs. What is the equipment?
There are "static" converters that are nothing more than bank of capacitors to create a phase shift for creating an effective third phase. (it is not solid state it is just capacitors) if that is what you were referring to as solid state. The VFD is a solid state converter, but specifically designed to drive a three phase motor. They don't work on non motor loads for the most part. The other solid state option is just a straight "inverter" to convert to a three phase output.

The static converter is fine for a single motor with relatively fixed load.

Multiple motors or big variances in load would be better with a rotary converter or one of the solid state methods of conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.