petroleum lights raceway repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
I'm wondering if the smashed raceway in the pictures below, is actually considered a class 1 division 1? or class 2 division 2? a trucker smashed concrete block into race way smashing wires and breaking the threads off inside the seal off and the union... I'm wondering if there is anyone that makes and explosion proof thread less connectors or couplings.. my plan is to take everything apart and analyze damage done at the pinch point... I'm guessing there going to be smashed and that will be my length... i wanted to put a thread less connector on the rigid coming out of the concrete and then set a seal off. from the seal off i would set an explosion proof box and then take off with new raceway and wires to the existing nema 3r j box on the top or the canopy.

If this isn't considered a explosion proof hazardous location, then I will just use normal raintight fittings and enclosures...

again I always appreciate the input and advice! thank you all in advance. Don't go too hard on me I do a lot of motor control industrial work, and haven't gotten many opportunities with class one hazardous locations. thanks again!

Attachments

• ampride1.jpg
    ampride1.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 25
  • ampride2.jpg
    ampride2.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 23
  • ampride3.jpg
    ampride3.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 25
  • ampride4.jpg
    ampride4.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 23
  • ampride5.jpg
    ampride5.jpg
    681.7 KB · Views: 22

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
If I understand this correctly it looks like my raceway is considered class 1,division 2 according to 514.3

514.9 sealing
since I’m less than 20 ft away from the dispenser. Looks like I’m also required to have a seal that is to be the first fitting at the point of emergence…

since I have no threads on the race way coming from grade, what are my options?
Am I basically going to have to re thread the existing raceway emerging from grade or is there another option?

Attachments

• 38B000E8-C78F-4D14-972E-735C035AE4FC.jpeg
    38B000E8-C78F-4D14-972E-735C035AE4FC.jpeg
    389.5 KB · Views: 4

RWC/NC.

Occupation
Electrical
I would consider using pipe hickey (bender) and bending raceway over just enough, for using a ridged ratchet pipe threader.

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
I know diesel has a lower flash point than gasoline. Would it still be considered class one division 2 and need a seal off if it’s more than 20 fee way from the gasoline island?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I know diesel has a lower flash point than gasoline. Would it still be considered class one division 2 and need a seal off if it’s more than 20 fee way from the gasoline island?
Are there both gasoline and diesel dispensers? Only the gas dispenser will be a classified area unless there are local amendments.

However the conduits for diesel dispensers in a station that has both maybe within the classified area of the gas dispenser.
514.3(A) Unclassified Locations.
Where the authority having jurisdiction can satisfactorily determine that flammable liquids having a flash point below 38°C (100°F), such as gasoline, will not be handled, such location shall not be required to be classified.

kwired

Electron manager
If the underground portion of the raceway passes below any class I location it still needs a seal off within 10 feet of emergence above grade. 514.8

If it doesn't pass below any class I location no seal is needed nor is it in a classified location.

Going back to some what you mentioned in OP, threadless fittings would not be listed for hazard location use, particularly for something needing explosion proof rating. Part of the design for explosion proof is that such fittings depend on threads to allow hot gas inside (if there had been an explosion inside) to escape following threads, those gases will have cooled enough by the time they reach the outside they will not ignite any the gases that may be present on the outside.

The seal fitting is supposed to be the first fitting outside the classified location, which in this situation would be minimum of 18" above grade, unless there is some other situation that would raise it to a higher level. Once past properly located seal fitting you no longer in a classified location.

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
Thank you for the very descriptive post!

I’m going to
Have to assume the raceway is crossing below a class 1 location because of the existing seal off.

I believe it goes from the diesel canopy inside to the panel box location. The gasoline canopy is located 25 ft past the first diesel canopy. I will add a picture just for discussion purposes just trying to get more understanding of classifications for my own knowledge.

that makes sense. I was just wishful thinking I suppose, I didn’t want to thread the 4” broken piece of rigid… I found a ratcheting rigid bender like mentioned in a previous post and if everything fits well, it shouldn’t be bad to thread.

so basically after I thread the existing pipe emerging from grade and hit my seal off within 18” I don’t need any explosion proof junction boxes, raceways or methods.

Thanks again, very helpful post!

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
If the underground portion of the raceway passes below any class I location it still needs a seal off within 10 feet of emergence above grade. 514.8

If it doesn't pass below any class I location no seal is needed nor is it in a classified location.

Going back to some what you mentioned in OP, threadless fittings would not be listed for hazard location use, particularly for something needing explosion proof rating. Part of the design for explosion proof is that such fittings depend on threads to allow hot gas inside (if there had been an explosion inside) to escape following threads, those gases will have cooled enough by the time they reach the outside they will not ignite any the gases that may be present on the outside.

The seal fitting is supposed to be the first fitting outside the classified location, which in this situation would be minimum of 18" above grade, unless there is some other situation that would raise it to a higher level. Once past properly located seal fitting you no longer in a classified location.
So say the gasoline pumps were actually a diesel pump than this would not be considered a class 1 environment.

or say there were more than 20' between the gasoline and diesel pumps, and the raceway that goes to the diesel pump doesn't crossthe underground portion of the gasoline pumps class 1 location. then no seal off at the diesel pumps and no classified environment.

Attachments

• ampride6_LI.jpg
    ampride6_LI.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4

kwired

Electron manager
So say the gasoline pumps were actually a diesel pump than this would not be considered a class 1 environment.

or say there were more than 20' between the gasoline and diesel pumps, and the raceway that goes to the diesel pump doesn't crossthe underground portion of the gasoline pumps class 1 location. then no seal off at the diesel pumps and no classified environment.
That is my take on it. Diesel doesn't create a classified location. If your raceway doesn't cross a classified location then you don't need to apply any the 500-514 article requirements. Same goes with overhead canopy and similar. The canopy wiring itself isn't hazardous location but often the supplying raceway(s) needs seals because it passes through/under classified locations.

A fuel island with both diesel and gasoline dispensers will usually need seals on the diesel dispensers.

A fuel island with diesel only may not need seals, depends on whether the run passes through/under classified locations or not.

ctaylo360860

Occupation
ME
That is my take on it. Diesel doesn't create a classified location. If your raceway doesn't cross a classified location then you don't need to apply any the 500-514 article requirements. Same goes with overhead canopy and similar. The canopy wiring itself isn't hazardous location but often the supplying raceway(s) needs seals because it passes through/under classified locations.

A fuel island with both diesel and gasoline dispensers will usually need seals on the diesel dispensers.

A fuel island with diesel only may not need seals, depends on whether the run passes through/under classified locations or not.
Thank you so much for the clear interpretation, I appreciate all the help on this one! Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.