Permit Required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
I was talking to a fellow worker today, I had said that I had added some receptacles in my unfinished garage in preperation to hanging sheetrock. He said I need a permit. I is my unstanding that if you are a homeowner it is not necessary. Who is right?

charlie

Re: Permit Required?

It depends on your local jurisdiction, call city hall, the county inspector, or even as one of the local electricians. It is better to have it inspected now and have to pay a fee than to have to remove all the drywall. Or even worse, have a fire or electrocute someone because you made a bad mistake. Do you know all the rules? Do you know where to install GFCIs? How do you know your installation is safe?

I am guessing that since you say you do maintenance work that you are not familiar with residential wiring. Please go talk to someone who knows the residential end.

fbhwt

Occupation

I am a maintenance electrican now, but started this trade as many here have wiring houses, as a matter of fact I wired the house I live in now. When the inspector came out on rough in and final I was the only trade that passed. I agree,if you do not know what your doing get someone who does or I you want to do it yourself and are not sure your doing it right have it inspected. I have also done commerical work, currently I'm a industrial maintenance electrican.

charlie

Thanks for the reply, that makes me feel a lot better. I assume you have kept up on the GFCI requirements and have all of the receptacles protected?

By the way, I apologize for being so critical. :D

fbhwt

Occupation

No apology nessasary Charlie, I should have given more information. So how many electricians here would get a permit to do the work I described? Is it unethical?

fbhwt

Occupation

And receptacles are GFCI protected, remember the house was inspected. I see now where I may have confused someone, this is an attached garage.

jimwalker

Many EC do major rewirings and additions with no permits,I worked for one that about 90% of remodels had no permit.This does not make it legal.Keep in mind this could backfire on you if anything happens or someone gets mad at you and turns you in.I suggest you pull a owner / builder permit if thats allowed in your area ,that way for a few $$$ your covered.At a min.take several pictures of the work.You could easilly overlook some code issue and cost yourself a problem someday if you sell the house.

wildman

fbhwt....In Georgia, homeowners may do their own electrical work! They are required to get permits to perform specific installations...In our fare city, if you add only one receptacle to an existing circuit, you are required to secure a permit! An inspector must come out and verify the work! Rules were established around 1965!
Ask your fellow worker how he found out about permits! All jurisdictions are not the same! Ask your local AHJ....if there is one!

fbhwt

Occupation

After to talking to a friend who happens to be a master electrican and holds a contractors license,
he pretty much agrees with what a lot of you are saying. Depending on where you live and how much work is going to be done will depend on if you need a permit,(if you the experienced, qualified homeowner are doing the work.) I'm only talking about adding a couple of receptacles to an existing GFCI in my attached garage and hanging 12 4x8 boards of sheetrock. At any rate I'm going to the county
Monday to find out what is what. Thatks for all the input.

tshea

When in doubt call your local inspector. Most are human and understand what is going on in the trade and also have a grip on contarctor costs. In one municipality the cost of a permit ($75) almost exceeds the cost of one outlet being installed.
Our inspector has an unwritten rule..."anything over $300 needs a permit. Call if in doubt."
Sometimes when we start a job and it escalates we need to stop and make the call. A call in prevents the dreaded double (triple or 5 times) permit fee for starting without a permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.