Permanent Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcole

Good day ladies and gents.

Does the frame of a permanently installed generator (NONseperately derived system) need to be connected to a grounding electrode per NEC? I know if the manufactures instructions says yes then it is required.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Good day ladies and gents.

Does the frame of a permanently installed generator (NONseperately derived system) need to be connected to a grounding electrode per NEC? I know if the manufactures instructions says yes then it is required.
I think most generators always have some mentioning of using a grounding electrode.

But if you don’t mind what they say then no, your not switching the neutral in anyway so your tied back into to the grounding electrode system of your service.

That’s how I see it anyways.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It needs a connection to an EGC, but not a grounding electrode per the NEC.

Note, that if there is no OCPD at the generator, it will need a supply side bonding jumper in place of the EGC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If the genny is far enough to be considered a "separate structure" it might need one.
The generator is not supplied by a feeder and unless there is more than one branch circuit for the auxiliary equipment at the generator, 250.32 would not require a grounding electrode at the generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.