Pendant Used for Equipment Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Is it permissible to hardwire a flexible cord to a junction box mounted above and have a female cord cap for equipment to plug into? This assumes the cord would have a proper strain relief at the JB.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Is it permissible to hardwire a flexible cord to a junction box mounted above and have a female cord cap for equipment to plug into? This assumes the cord would have a proper strain relief at the JB.

I would say conditionally "yes". It would still need to be a situation where cord is allowed.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You see it all the time in places like kitchens and machine shops where equipment is located out on the floor. IMO as long as the equipment is not fastened in place it's allowable.

-Hal

synchro

Occupation
EE
Certainly the cord ampacity would have to be adequate for the circuit OCPD if the cord is hardwired to the box.
Would a twist-lock receptacle be an acceptable alternative for the application?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If I had of looked in the 2017 I would have found my answer. What used to be 400.7(B), is now 400.10(B), The older version said the cord for the attachment plug for the equipment had to come from a receptacle. This was where my question arose since I was talking about hardwired. Now the newer versions added the words "or cord connector body". So, to me, that means hardwired with the proper cord connector/strain relief.

(B) Attachment Plugs. Where used as permitted in
400.10(A)(3), (A)(6), and (A)(8), each flexible cord shall be
equipped with an attachment plug and shall be energized from
a receptacle outlet or cord connector body.

I too see these a lot but I will be dealing with a different inspector on this job and wanted to make sure it was allowed. So the new wording appears to allow it.

synchro

Occupation
EE
When hardwiring a cord in a junction box, it's my understanding you'll need to use crimp or other splicing methods listed for the fine stranded wire. I doubt that any normal wire-nuts are approved for the fine wire stranding in flexible cords.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
When hardwiring a cord in a junction box, it's my understanding you'll need to use crimp or other splicing methods listed for the fine stranded wire. I doubt that any normal wire-nuts are approved for the fine wire stranding in flexible cords.

Good question. I've never used anything but wire nuts for this. Stranded cordage to solid THHN usually. :eek:hmy:

I don't think wire nut instructions make any distinction.

-Hal

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Do you have a code reference for that?

hbiss

Occupation
EC
400.7 Uses Permitted
(A) Uses. Flexible cords and cables shall be used only for the following:
(1) Pendants
(2) Wiring of luminaires
(3) Connection of portable luminaires, portable and mo-bile signs, or appliances
(4) Elevator cables
(5) Wiring of cranes and hoists
(6) Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent interchange
(7) Prevention of the transmission of noise or vibration
(8) Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection
(9) Connection of moving parts
(10) Where specifically permitted elsewhere in this
Code

(B) Attachment Plugs. Where used as permitted in 400.7(A)(3), (A)(6), and (A)(8), each flexible cord shall be equipped with an attachment plug and shall be energized from a receptacle outlet or cord connector body.

Pendants are 400.7(A)(1). Attachment plugs are only required for (A)(3), (A)(6) and (A)(8)

-Hal

synchro

Occupation
EE
Do you have a code reference for that?

Check your latest version of the code but in 110.14 :
"Connectors and terminations for conductors more finely stranded than Class B and Class C stranding as shown in Chapter 9, Table 10, shall be identified for the specific conductor class or classes."

Also see:

https://library.ul.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/40/2015/02/Electrical-Connections-Issue-3-2011.pdf

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...nections.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0N3EtF074_xeC6sITP5nLG

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Check your latest version of the code but in 110.14 :
"Connectors and terminations for conductors more finely stranded than Class B and Class C stranding as shown in Chapter 9, Table 10, shall be identified for the specific conductor class or classes."

Also see:

https://library.ul.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/40/2015/02/Electrical-Connections-Issue-3-2011.pdf

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...nections.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0N3EtF074_xeC6sITP5nLG

I see nothing saying you can't use wire nuts.
(B) Splices. Conductors shall be spliced or joined with splicing
devices identified for the use

Wire nuts are certainly "identified for the use"

The cords used would also be within the "Class B or C"

hbiss

Occupation
EC
I was asking synchro if he had a code reference for having to use some type of crimp instead of wire nuts.
I know the code sections for cords.

I was replying to synchro's and your post to show where hard wired pendents are specifically permitted by quoting the entire article, not just 400.7(B). Not sure if the OP got that with all the talk about connector bodies being required.

-Hal

synchro

Occupation
EE
I see nothing saying you can't use wire nuts.

Wire nuts are certainly "identified for the use"

The cords used would also be within the "Class B or C"

The document at the second link I provided above says that due to UL Standard 486 A-B the following applies:
"If there is no marking or other identification that indicates the connector may be used with a certain class, then that conductor may not be used with any stranding other than SIW, Class B, or Class C."

Class B wire has 7 strands and class C has 19 strands for #14 thru #2 AWG:
https://www.iewc.com/resources/techn...anding-classes

Flexible cords such as SO have much finer stranding. As one example from the table at the following link, SO-12/3 has 65 strands of #30 on each wire:
https://www.awcwire.com/productspec.aspx?id=type-sow-so

Status
Not open for further replies.