Pendant Duplex Outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGirard

Is hanging an FS box or a "Bell Box" with Kellum hung off a SO cord with a duplex outlet and bubble cover approved?

I see this done often but I don't believe it's approved, unless the box is pendant rated, am I right?

I've asked other electricians and usually get "that's done that way all the time."

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
At a number of convention-type venues it's common for power to be supplied to individual display booths with a cord dropped down from the ceiling with a quad box at the business end. Exhibitors plug their stuff into the quad box. I've only had to deal with boxes that actually hit the floor, but that seemed to be adjustable, depending on how much cord the setup guy feeds through the ceiling.

Once again, "it's done that way much of the time."

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can you give us more detail? Temp or permanent? What's it supplying? What will be directly beneath it?

NTesla76

Occupation
Electrics
I've seen that done numerous times, but me thinks there may be an OSHA rule against it. I'm not 100% positive on that. May depend on the application.

kwired

Electron manager
I sort of have no issue with it, however don't like to see 1900 boxes and similar used because extra KO's seem to get punched out over time even if not intentional. That said I don't believe it is compliant because even the FS and "bell boxes are not listed for use as a pendant supported box.

FS type boxes can be raceway supported, but must be supported by at least two entering raceways.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I don't believe that 1900 and FS boxes are listed for pendent support. FS boxes are heavy, 1900s have holes in them and, as noted, the KOs can be pushed in.

I agree that Woodhead 3000 series are the way to go.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.