Peak demand exceeding panel rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA_Sparky

Electrical Engineer
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm working on a coffee shop that has a 200A 208y/120v 3 phase panel. 12 mo peak demand from utility is 83kw. Typically I default to .9 power factor. Even with that, my peak demand is over panel amperage.

Is .9 a good power factor to default to?
Is it more likely the power factor is closer to .8?
Peak demand values are peak load for minimum of 15 minutes. I'd imagine if it was 208A draw for 15 min the breaker should have tripped unless it's a faulty breaker.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I can't comment authoritatively about expected power factor in a coffee shop. I'd expect lots of resistive heating....

On the breaker, take a look at normal trip curves. A perfectly functional breaker could reasonably take 15 minutes to trip at 50% overcurrent.

IMHO the fact that demand exceeds rating probably means a problem unless this was a one off fluke such as everything coming on at the same time after a power outage.

Jon

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Assuming a .9 PF, which seems reasonable for an occupancy like this, the amps would be about 255. At .8 PF the current would be even higher.

WA_Sparky

Electrical Engineer
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Assuming a .9 PF, which seems reasonable for an occupancy like this, the amps would be about 255. At .8 PF the current would be even higher.
Yes correct I had my PF on the wrong side of the equation, which is even worse than I thought.

From a code standpoint even if there is a reduction in load during renovation and estimated demand is above panel/feeder amperage it would require an upgraded service?

Status
Not open for further replies.