Passed my NJ Electrical Exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

giorgio_g

So after having my application approved for the longest time (4yrs) i decided to take the exam this month (April 1) and passed all 3 parts, i took Alan Chech seminar (extremely recommended) he had most if not all the answers to the test, these are my scores NJ NEC 76, NJ Fire Alarm 72 and NJ Business 86.
Good luck to all the other classmates that took the test. :)

ToolHound

So after having my application approved for the longest time (4yrs) i decided to take the exam this month (April 1) and passed all 3 parts, i took Alan Chech seminar (extremely recommended) he had most if not all the answers to the test, these are my scores NJ NEC 76, NJ Fire Alarm 72 and NJ Business 86.

Now you won't have to be worrying about that test anymore. Keep on truckin'. ---ToolHound

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Now you won't have to be worrying about that test anymore. Keep on truckin'. ---ToolHound

He won't worry about a test but I am sure he will have the books handy and keep studying and learning.

Congrats. I am sure that was a big weight off of your shoulder. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mesh

Good for you.

If you have any questions about licensing and other stuff in NJ, feel free to ask.

Some recommendations:

You probably know Franchino Insurance from the ruler and pencil he left at the test, he probably wished you luck too :D He's a good guy and knows what he is doing. I like the fact that he does so many other EC's (and PC's) in NJ, so he knows all the in's and out's of the business and could help you with the little things at the beginning. How much roofing are you going to do? Well, he knows how we might have to patch around a service mast and maybe a fart fan exhaust, so he could help you with the coverage- things like that.

When you register your company, stay away from those companies that want to do it for you. They cost a lot and they also put themselves down as the registered agent of your company which means they will keep charging you a couple hundred every year. Instead, I went directly to the NJ state website and registered my LLC myself for $250 total. It was like $150 but then there were 2 $50 charges for other things like your letter of formation or something like that.

You also have to register for your IRS EIN number, state division of taxation both for taxes and sales tax. And remember, you need to collect sales tax on repair work in NJ, but not additions (anything that could be considered capital improvements).

Besoeker

You got there though...
Congratulations....:thumbsup:

SIRSPARKSALOT

Not a fan of Mr. Chech

Not a fan of Mr. Chech

Congratulations! However,

I do not believe in Mr. Chech's methods. I paid for his class and left after lunch the first day due to the fact that I thought it was garbage. He does not spend time teaching, but rather runs through possible questions and gives you the answer. He gets all of the test questions by bribing his students to remember and write down (5) questions and potential answers after leaving the exam. If you send him the questions, he sends you a Home Depot gift card. At one point I thought of contacting the state, but decided not to. You may be able to use his class to pass the test, but that does not necessarily mean you know the material.

Additionally, he has you mark up a code book and tells you to try to bring it into the exam which is not allowed. I saw three people get kicked out of the exam for doing this when I tested. He did a name draw out of a hat and two people won Ohm's law watches. One of them was also kicked out of the exam for cheating.

Study the code, understand the code and pass the test.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I do not believe in Mr. Chech's methods. I paid for his class and left after lunch the first day due to the fact that I thought it was garbage. He does not spend time teaching, but rather runs through possible questions and gives you the answer. He gets all of the test questions by bribing his students to remember and write down (5) questions and potential answers after leaving the exam. If you send him the questions, he sends you a Home Depot gift card. At one point I thought of contacting the state, but decided not to. You may be able to use his class to pass the test, but that does not necessarily mean you know the material.

Additionally, he has you mark up a code book and tells you to try to bring it into the exam which is not allowed. I saw three people get kicked out of the exam for doing this when I tested. He did a name draw out of a hat and two people won Ohm's law watches. One of them was also kicked out of the exam for cheating.

Most guys would love to take a prep class where they actually were told the exam questions. I have a feeling that most exam prep classes use a similar approach.

RICK NAPIER

Most guys would love to take a prep class where they actually were told the exam questions. I have a feeling that most exam prep classes use a similar approach.

I taught a prep class for years until it became to time consuming and it was important to me that these furure contractors understand the codes and how to search the NEC.

And congratulations to the OP. This is a difficult test to pass.

SIRSPARKSALOT

I taught a prep class for years until it became to time consuming and it was important to me that these furure contractors understand the codes and how to search the NEC.

That would have been what I expected. Seeing a question and being told to memorize the answer is not how it should be done. Learing how to navigate the code book and decipher the wording of the questions being asked is what should be taught.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That would have been what I expected. Seeing a question and being told to memorize the answer is not how it should be done. Learing how to navigate the code book and decipher the wording of the questions being asked is what should be taught.

I agree too but some prep class teachers are about passing results not learning. I've sat in a few of those. :roll:

Ken9876

I feel the same way, back in the day there was a guy named Bob Burns in central NJ doing the same thing. I studied on my own took the electrical test in 2 hours and passed with a 89, I felt the test was far too easy.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

The really difficult part may now be getting his seal. Our license holder finally got his after waiting almost a year. We were going to start a pool on whether or not he'd get the seal before he had to renew.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I agree too but some prep class teachers are about passing results not learning. I've sat in a few of those. :roll:

I agree with your assesment. But I must say that this is a problem in general with much of education today at the grade school, high school and college level. We as a society are teaching more by rote than critical thinking which we do at our own peril. I see it manifest all the time in the field with, for example, a calculation can be seen as obviously wrong if you apply critical thinking. But the way we teach today things like this don't, to often, "ring any bells" for those involved and lead to bad results. It leads to poor electricians, engineers, teachers, etc. Just my MHO.

neil8576

New User
Occupation
electrician
Can anyone outline the time frame for an initial application to take the NJ Electrical contractor exam to actually taking the test.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Congrats

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I’m sort of biased here but this is exactly why I took Jeff Rodriguez class in NC many years ago. He didn’t know any questions on the NC test. He taught you the structure of the NEC and how to use the book to find the information the question was seeking.
And never go to the index. I won’t forget that and I still don’t..

sure, you had to listen to how good he was for about 45 minutes, but it ain’t bragging if you can back it up..

Status
Not open for further replies.