Parking deck MC cable in hi-rise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
I'm wiring a dormitory building and looking into using PVC coated MC in the slab.we have a centralized electrical closet on each floor with about 20 rooms per floor over 13 floors. The ceilings are open so I'm figuring putting this in the slab as opposed to smurf tube or other conduits.Just wondering if anyone has any advice on this,good points or bad points.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You would need to remove any portion of the exposed PVC jacket once it emerges from the concrete. Not really sure what that does to the listing of the cable.

Occupation
Electrician
I checked with the BEC and they're fine with using it provided its within a 1hour construction when it emerges from the concrete. I have two thoughts on this ,1.mount a box 6" above the floor terminate the cables and then encase in concrete. 2.make a skirt from the panel to the floor/ceiling using a 1 hour rated assembly. I'm concerned with speed and the liklihood of the cable getting damaged

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We are currently using this stuff and unless you sleeve it through the deck with RMC the stripping crew will destroy it when removing the forms. They used EMT on the first few floors and about 40% of the up sleeves got destroyed when they stripped the forms from the ceiling deck above.

Occupation
Electrician
So is it better to install the cables in the ceiling deck as opposed to the floor. The cables will hang down to the floor below.

Occupation
Electrician
This is what I'm trying to weigh up ,if I lose a couple of cables its a lot more expensive to replace than conduit or smurf tube,but as regards labor it's way ahead.
Any thoughts on maintaining a 1 hr rating in the electrical room,or does the rating of the room cover me?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Putting the material inside a one hour wall should not be a problem, but it is a required one hour wall you may need a little care with with wire arrangement to keep it that way. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.