Panels With Pass Through Lugs & 705.12(B)(2)(3)(b)

Status
Not open for further replies.

suicidelg

Occupation
Lead Electrician
Hi All,

I have a system designed with the installation of a new Milbank 200A Meter/Main combo. The Meter/Main has a main breaker of 200A and has pass through lugs on the bottom of the panel board's bus bars. I have the interconnection method designed such that the PV Breaker is on the bottom of the panel board and the existing 200A MSP is being fed from the pas though lugs. With that said, the person who approves IC's for a Utility i'm working with is trying to tell me that the PV breaker is not considered at the opposite end of the bus bar. I've never had anyone take issue with this before. Am I wrong for thinking that any reasonable interpretation of "At the opposite end of the bus bar" means as the farthest breaker position? Or is this person correct? Let me know what ya'll think. Thanks!

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think he's right. You have the pass through lugs at the opposite end. From the theoretical point of view it defeats the purpose, because the currents can add together in the feed through conductors. Also those conductors and the panel they feed may no longer be strictly protected from overload.

What code cycle are you on? This is a sort of a 'loophole' that was not addressed until the 2020 NEC, and is still a bit unclear.

Status
Not open for further replies.