Panelboard mounting height

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have panelboard main service disconnect disconnect with main breaker.

We have finally moved and in transition to NEC 2017.

I am looking at NEC 2017 section 240.24 and it modifies that section to switches containing fuses and circuit breaker. To me this is not a panelboard

Does NEC 2017 have panelboard mounting height requirement or not?

kwired

Electron manager
There is no panelboard mounting height requirements, there is still requirements for the maximum height for switches (circuit breakers) within that panelboard, or even stand alone switches (circuit breakers) like a enclosed breaker or fused switch.

kwired

Electron manager
They're right no panel height requirement. In commercial mostly a standard height is 6 ft 6 inches, not a requirement.
I've installed panelboard cabinets that are 7 feet tall. You still need to keep them sort of low so that the highest breaker is no more than 6 ft 7 in (2 meters) to centerline of handle. Common one I have used several times is Square D NF, with 400 amp main, and 66 poles. IIRC cabinet is 7 feet give or take an inch or so. If you add a feed thru lugs kit that adds a little more length to the cabinet needed. That gets you to where you about must have the bottom no more than a foot from the floor or the highest breaker will be too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.