Panelboard Clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
Can a 45kva transformer be hung OVER a wall mounted panelboard? ---probably. BUT if the transformer is hung 12" from the wall 4-5 feet above the panelboard, would this violate the required clearances of the panelboard? If allowed, wouldn't this limit access for mounting conduit on the wall above panelboard?

--Just asking for a "friend"...…..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As stated in post #2 you would need 6'6" of height for the working space of the panel. If it's 12" from the wall and not directly over the panel then there wouldn't be a dedicated space issue either.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
As stated in post #2 you would need 6'6" of height for the working space of the panel. If it's 12" from the wall and not directly over the panel then there wouldn't be a dedicated space issue either.
If the transformer is at 6'-5" and 12" out, it would violate the height and depth clear distance. I just wanted to point that out, because your last sentence makes it sound like as long as he is not directly over head, he is clear.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the transformer is at 6'-5" and 12" out, it would violate the height and depth clear distance. I just wanted to point that out, because your last sentence makes it sound like as long as he is not directly over head, he is clear.
The last sentence is for dedicated space not working space.

Carultch

It is my understanding that "dedicated space" is "dedicated" to the "electrical installation", which would include any equipment or wiring methods that are governed by the NEC. Even if unrelated to the panelboard requiring the dedicated space. I've understood this rule to primarily exclude foreign systems from occupying this space, such as plumbing and HVAC.

Please let me know if I have misunderstood this rule. I would interpret this, as that it would allow stacked small panelboards, or a transformer above or below a panelboard, because both units are part of the "electrical installation". Obviously provided that both units need their required working space as well. Stacking a transformer over a panel/disconnect or vice-versa is not something I would recommend. If space is available, it is a lot more practical to use and install the equipment when the panelboard is off to the side of the transformer, rather than directly above or below it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It is my understanding that "dedicated space" is "dedicated" to the "electrical installation", which would include any equipment or wiring methods that are governed by the NEC. Even if unrelated to the panelboard requiring the dedicated space. I've understood this rule to primarily exclude foreign systems from occupying this space, such as plumbing and HVAC.

Please let me know if I have misunderstood this rule. I would interpret this, as that it would allow stacked small panelboards, or a transformer above or below a panelboard, because both units are part of the "electrical installation". Obviously provided that both units need their required working space as well. Stacking a transformer over a panel/disconnect or vice-versa is not something I would recommend. If space is available, it is a lot more practical to use and install the equipment when the panelboard is off to the side of the transformer, rather than directly above or below it.
No you're correct the hanging transformer would be permitted within the dedicated space above the transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.