Panel light v/s Downlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajid khan

I need some technical guidance in selecting light fixture types of different medical spaces such as:

§ Examination / Clinic rooms
§ ICUs, SICUs, PICUs
§ Patient corridors
§ Dialysis rooms
§ Triage
§ Treatment rooms etc.

The electrical designer has specified panel-type light fixtures (600mm x 600mm or 300mm x 1200mm) in false-ceiling areas. The architect on the other hand, is preferring to opt for round shaped (~150 - 200mm dia) down lighters instead of panel type fixtures in most of these rooms.

The designer has given justification of panel light fixtures mainly due to:

§ Better glare control vs. downlights
§ Fewer number of light fixtures, meaning fewer shadows
§ Better uniformity with less no. of fixtures

what are the prevailing practices in your experience and what are the technical justifications to prefer one over the other?

Any extract from the lighting guide/code will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Keep in mind this is an NEC forum and your questions are very specific to hospital lighting, you might get some responses but I don't see many questions/answers for this topic. there may be lighting forum that would be better for your answers

Sajid khan

Keep in mind this is an NEC forum and your questions are very specific to hospital lighting, you might get some responses but I don't see many questions/answers for this topic. there may be lighting forum that would be better for your answers

I have posted this to mike holt lighting forum
If you know any other forum specific to lighting please let me know
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You are looking to settle a difference of opinion between professionals who are familiar with the project and requirements. The internet is hardly the place to look for credible advice.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.