panel in closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

garbo

I have a problem with easily ignitable materia. First owner of home might be okay with what is placed inside a closet but who knows what the next homeowner will do. I have been ask to put in sub panels indide of clothes closets over the years but refused. Readily accessibility often becomes a problem with overstuffed closets. Best was they had 2 side by side 4 drawer filing cabinets inside a clothes closet that weight a lot. Was on a job where sub panel was inside of a large walk in closet that even had a large window. Only problem was somebody installed storage cabinet where you could only open circuit breaker panel door a few inches.

brycenesbitt

NEC 1965 110.16(b) -Working space required by this section shall not be used as a passageway or for storage. Pretty much sums up a closet that has storage cannot be used for working space. Make it a j box & move to an accessible location

In the real world, it's easier to move crap out of closets, than move furniture that gets stuck in front of panels. Sometimes the goals of the code don't line up with how people actually use apartments and houses.

mwm1752

In the real world, it's easier to move crap out of closets, than move furniture that gets stuck in front of panels. Sometimes the goals of the code don't line up with how people actually use apartments and houses.
Inspectors sign off take responsibility as per NEC regulations - Cannot predict furniture placement in an open room -
real world doesn't rely on easy or cause I don't want to - & do you also move the rod & shelf out so that head room is available?

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Where in the NEC does it say an inspector signing off on an inspection (presumable passing the job) makes them responsible for the job? I think I missed that section.

mwm1752

Where in the NEC does it say an inspector signing off on an inspection (presumable passing the job) makes them responsible for the job? I think I missed that section.
Why do you get an inspection? The responsibility is for compliance required per code not warranty & I think you misunderstood my meaning.

mwm1752

90.4 Enforcement. This Code is intended to be suitable for
mandatory application by governmental bodies that exercise legal
jurisdiction over electrical installations, including signaling and
communications systems, and for use by insurance inspectors.
The authority having jurisdiction for enforcement of the Code
has the responsibility for making interpretations of the rules,
for deciding on the approval of equipment and materials, and
for granting the special permission contemplated in a number
of the rules.

redz2500

Hello, I realize this is an older thread but I have a question pertaining to this. if an existing panel is in a closet can I add a circuit to it without relocating it? as an electrical contractor I have done this hundreds if not more times without any issues. During an inspection today we failed because we added a 40 amp circuit to an existing panel in a closet. This is never been an issue on inspections in the past not even in this jurisdiction or with this Inspector.

while talking to the chief building inspector he informed me that any and panel installed after 1920 in a closet is not code compliant and never was. To my knowledge this did not come in to play until as stated above 1968 and revised in 1981.

Srv52761

Occupation
Energy Manager
Added a sub panel to a workshop. AHJ had me make main panel compliant- not in clothes closet. Was a 8' x 33" closet, 6' bifold doors, panel on the narrow wall. Solution was to put in a stub wall 36" (actually made it 40" to align with studs) from the front of the panel and make it two closets; a clothes closet and an electrical closet.

Hello, I realize this is an older thread but I have a question pertaining to this. if an existing panel is in a closet can I add a circuit to it without relocating it? as an electrical contractor I have done this hundreds if not more times without any issues. During an inspection today we failed because we added a 40 amp circuit to an existing panel in a closet. This is never been an issue on inspections in the past not even in this jurisdiction or with this Inspector.

while talking to the chief building inspector he informed me that any and panel installed after 1920 in a closet is not code compliant and never was. To my knowledge this did not come in to play until as stated above 1968 and revised in 1981.
Not correct. See post #2. Have the homeowner remove any questionable materials from the closet for your inspection. Tell him those items cannot be in the closet and he needs to find another spot for them, wink wink.

brycenesbitt

During an inspection today we failed because we added a 40 amp circuit to an existing panel in a closet. This is never been an issue on inspections in the past not even in this jurisdiction or with this Inspector.

I've seen it go down both ways.
In one case the inspector accepted shortening the closet rod, so clothes could not slide over the panel.
Others took the argument that only the panel cover was removed, the other wiring was not "exposed" so it did not require a code upgrade.

--------
In my view all this is a misallocation of resources. There are far better ways to reduce electrical risk, and just relocating the subpanel introduces additional wire nuts, connections, and potential for introduced wiring mistakes. Literally leaving it alone is the safety choice.

Closets by definition store removable items. Walls tend to grow book cases, and armoire, big screen TV's and all sorts of other stuff that's harder to get of the way and equally inflammable.

Status
Not open for further replies.